Is it possible to migrate to Canada as a chef? What are the job opportunities for chefs in Canada? Can the chef jobs in Canada be beneficial to you? Let’s find more about Canadian job opportunities for chefs and the job market.
Every year Canada provides several job opportunities especially for skilled workers and skilled traders from all over the world. There has been a great increase in the demand for chefs in this nation over the years.
However, keep in mind that there is also a very good competition for this position. It is estimated that your culinary skills can help you earn up to 69,612 Canadian dollars per year. Considering there is a very high demand for chefs in the country there is no reason for surprise
Why Immigrate To Canada?
Canada, the 10th biggest economy in the world, has always welcomed immigrants from all over the world and is one of the most beautiful places on earth to live in. This is one country where people belonging to different cultures live in peace and harmony with each other.
The residents of this country enjoy access to universal healthcare, well-paid jobs; good educational facilities for children and their banks are known to be quite stable compared to the rest of the world.
Compared to most of the other western nations, the country is much lenient in accepting foreigners as migrants to their country. Find out 6 ways to migrate to Canada.
Canadian Job Opportunities For Chefs: Statistics And Facts
- The IRCC ’s official website has the data on the number of jobs available
- As a result of the demand for expansion and demand for replacement, there are several new employment opportunities for chefs over the period from2017 and 2026
- The total is expected to be around 52,200
- Currently, the availability of chefs to Canada is around 58,600 which is way above the required number
- This total comprises of both immigrants as well as students who have qualified recently
- This marginal surplus indicates that the international chefs who have plans to migrate to this nation will have to face immense competition
Chef Jobs In Canada – Additional Options For International Chefs
- To migrate to Canada as a chef you don’t need to have an employment offer in this country
- You can consider setting up a restaurant of your own if you have an excellent plan to start a business of your own
- The express entry system for immigration is point-based and quite tough.
- Not aspirants will successfully meet all the requirements
- However, the government of Canada offers a loan program for small businesses if you have plans to become an entrepreneur.
- This program offers good support to migrants doing small business in Canada
- International chefs with such a business dream require a clear and strong plan, must do thorough research and get all the paperwork done
The Express Entry Immigration System To Canada – Point-Based
- This point-based immigration system was introduced in January 2015
- This allows skilled migrants to work in Canada and get a permanent resident status
- Permanent residency is similar to the system of green card in the united states
- The express entry immigration system covers three categories for economic migration. They are:
- Canadian experience class
- Class for federal skilled worker
- Federal skilled trade class
- A chef falls usually under the class for federal skilled workers
- The requirements for eligibility of all the 3 categories are different
- A chef could also be considered eligible for any of these 3 categories for migration depending on the different eligibility requirements he/she satisfies
How International Chefs Become Permanent Residents In Canada?
- International chefs enter Canada once they obtain a work permit through the express entry system for immigration
- This is after they obtain LMIA under the stream for high wages. LMIA refers to the Labor Market Impact Assessment
- The wages per hour could be anywhere between 23 and 25 Canadian dollars
- The LMIA is necessary to apply for permanent residency in Canada
- To obtain permanent residency in Canada the international chef also need to acquire the required language skills
Migrate To Canada As A Chef – Requirements
- More than the educational qualification a chef requires excellent skills and experience for ethnic cuisines
- She/he must have several years of work experience as a chef in a commercial establishment for food preparation
- The express entry system for migration requires that the candidate create an online profile and they are given a CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) score
- The CRS score is classified into two
- A maximum score of 600 can be earned under each category
- The candidates are then placed in an express entry pool once they get a certain score
- The ones who have a score higher than the cut-off get an invitation to migrate to this country
The Cut-Off Points
- Each candidate used to receive additional points (600 points) that were added to their CRS score if they got an eligible employment offer in Canada
- In 2016 during November this score was reduced from 600 points to 50 points for positions for a skilled worker- chefs usually come under this category
- If your CRS score is 300 for an employment offer you will only get a maximum of 350 points. This would have been 900 before November 2016
- The position for a chef used to be the 2nd most sort after a profession in 2015
- In the year 2017, the demand for chefs dropped down to the 28th position
- If you are aspiring to move to Canada as a chef you have to increase the total score of your CRS
- This can be done by improving your qualification, skill, and experience
- Pursuing aligned program for provincial nominee could also give you additional points
International chefs who are on the lookout for better job opportunities outside their country can now try their chance in Canada. However, you must satisfy the requirements to migrate to this amazing country.
- How to Apply for Canada Student Visa
- How to Apply for Canada Tourist Visa
- Asian Immigrants in Canada – Interesting Facts
- Types Of Canadian Visa – The Complete List
- Canadian Citizenship Test – 10 Sample Questions And Answers