Canada skilled worker program is one way to migrate to and settle in Canada. Know about the Canada immigration skilled workers program
More than 250,000 immigrants arrive in Canada each year which makes this nation one of the topmost immigration destinations in the world. The reason behind the flooding of immigrants to this country is their system of immigration which is highly progressive and the strong economy of Canada.
People possessing high levels of skills and who have a good amount of experience are being accepted into the country under the category of skilled workers which is a quite popular visa programme. Canada skilled workers are chosen based on their ability to participate in the country’s economy and their ability to settle in the country. They are given the opportunity to migrate to Canada under the Express Entry programme. There are three streams under this programme.
- Federal Skilled Trades (FST)
- Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)
- Canadian Experienced Class (CEC)
Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW)
A highly skilled and experienced worker can get a permanent residency in Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker programme. The applications under this programme are processed under the selection system of Express Entry and this was launched on the 1st of January 2015. There are around 347 occupations in Canada that are high in demand and this is one of the fastest methods by which a foreigner can gain a Permanent resident visa to Canada.
Federal Skilled Worker Program: Requirements
- The occupation for which you have chosen to apply under the FSW programme should fall within one of the categories of the classification of skills like, Skill Level B (Skilled trades and technical occupations) or Skill type 1 ( Professional occupations) or Skill type 0 ( Managerial occupations)
- At least a year of experience in the chosen field of occupation within the past ten years is necessary.
- A good score in the language test with a minimum score of 7 either in the language of French and English
- A minimum total of 67 points is necessary for each individual under the skill assessment.
- A job offer letter from an employer in Canada
- Proof of sufficient funds to settle in Canada
A Canadian skilled worker does not always require a job offer letter from Canada to get a PR to this country.
The Selection Process under Canada Skilled Worker program
The Canadian immigration skilled worker has to score a minimum point of 67 to qualify for this programme and they are assessed based on certain factors.
Age (the maximum score is 12)
If you are between the ages of 18-35 you can score the maximum of 12 points as the age goes higher the points are reduced and the people who are 47 years of age or more do not get any points under this assessment.
Your highest qualification (the maximum score is 25)
The qualifications have been classified into
- Doctoral or Ph.D. level
- Professional Degree or Masters
- Post-secondary credentials that two or more in number and out of that at least one should be a three-year-long course.
- Post-secondary credential with a duration of three years or more
- The post-secondary credential of two years
- The post-secondary credential of one year
- Secondary school
- Secondary school education that remains incomplete
Proficiency in language (the maximum score is 28)
Under the Federal Skilled Worker programme, there are two official languages: English and French. The Canada immigration skilled worker can score a maximum of 24 points for the English language test and 4 points for the French language. A minimum score of 7 should be scored in the test to qualify for the FSW programme. The reading, writing, listening and speaking skills of the candidate are assessed under this test.
Years of work experience (the maximum score is 15)
Depending on the number of years of experience that you have in your work you can score a maximum of 15 points if it is 6 years or more and a minimum of 9 if it is one year.
A genuine offer for a job or arranged employment (the maximum score is 10)
If a Canada skilled worker gets a job offer from an employer in Canada who is approved by the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) he/she can score up to 10 points during the selection process for immigration.
Adaptability (the maximum score is 10 points)
The score is calculated based on the following factors
- The primary applicant’s previous employment in Canada (minimum of 1 year)
- Details of the courses done previously in Canada by the main applicant.
- Details of work in Canada by the applicant’s spouse/partner
- The details of a course done in Canada by the accompanying spouse or partner
How to get some additional points?
- You can increase your total score by certain other factors too.
- If you are related to a Canadian citizen by blood you’ll get another 5 points. It could be one of the spouses or one of the parents’ relatives. For example Uncle, Aunt, Nephew, Niece, Father, Mother, Sister or Brother.
Funds Required to Support Yourself and your Family While Migrating to Canada
While applying for the Federal Skilled Worker program the Canada immigration skilled worker needs to show the required amount of money to support themselves and their family. The amount will vary depending on the number of family members migrating with the primary applicant.
- $12,164 for 1 member
- $15,143 for 2 members
- $18,617 for 3 members
- $22,603 for 4 members
- $25, 636 for 5 members
- $28,913 for 6 members
- $32,191 for 7 members or more
The Processing fee of Federal Skilled Worker Application
The processing fee for application of a Federal Skilled Worker is as follows
- Primary Applicant: $550
- Spouse: $550
- Children under the age of 19: $150
Fee for Right of Permanent Resident
The fee for Right of Permanent Resident is
- Primary Applicant: $490
- Spouse: $490
- Children: Exempted from paying a fee
Steps to Follow while Applying for Canada Skilled Worker Program
Step 1: Fill and sign the online application form
The Canada skilled worker needs to create an Express Entry profile online at first and sign in to that account. Fill in the online application form without leaving out any mandatory fields and submit it online.
Step 2: Make sure you have all the supporting documents that are necessary
- All the supporting documents that are required have to be uploaded along with the application form. The documents include:
- A valid passport
- Results of language test
- Proof of financial stability to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family in case they are accompanying you. It could be a valid bank statement.
- Job offers from Canadian employers in case you have been selected.
- Reports of educational credential assessment
- Police clearance certificate
- Certificate of medical checkup
- Include your provincial nomination in case you have received one
Make sure you have all the documents stated in the Document Checklist.
Step 3: Submit the fee required
You need to submit the fee for yourself and your family members if they have also applied along with you.
The Processing fee for Canada Skilled Worker programme
You need to pay the fee for each and every member who is planning to accompany you to Canada and who have applied online. The fee will be refunded in the event where your application form is incomplete.
Fee for Right of Permanent Resident
On the approval of your application, this fee has to be submitted. In case your application has been refused or if you choose to withdraw your application this fee will be refunded.
Step 4: Submit the application that is completed
Make sure you submit your application without leaving out any fields and making mistakes. Attach all the supporting documents and pay the necessary fees online.
Processing Time for Federal Skilled Worker Application
Presently the time taken to process an application under this programme is 6 months or less. Once the application is submitted by the candidate the immigration issues an Invitation to Apply (ITA) to the candidate.
The Benefits of Applying for Canada Skilled Worker Program
Applying through the Federal Skilled worker programme is one of the easiest ways by which anyone can migrate to Canada. The requirements for eligibility and the processing for a Canada immigration skilled worker is quite simple. If you are an experienced skilled worker it wouldn’t be very difficult for you to get through.
- How to Apply for Canada Student Visa
- How to Apply for Canada Tourist Visa
- Top 10 Countries Where You Can Immigrate and Settle Easily
- Indians Migrating To OECD Countries Increased And Diversified
- 4 Lesser Known Facts About Migration
- 6 Easy Ways to Migrate to Canada
- Canadian Citizenship Test – 10 Sample Questions And Answers
- Increase in the Number of Indians Applying for Canadian Citizenship
- Canada Election And Immigration – How The Federal Election Will Affect Immigration And Express Entry?