A non-Canadian student who wishes to study in Canada will be required to obtain a Canadian Study Permit. This study permit also serves as a Canada Student Visa for the duration of the student’s stay in Canada. This visa is generally granted to those students who have already been accepted for admission by a designated learning institution in Canada.
A Canadian study permit is needed by a student to pursue a study course or program that extends for more than six months. This means, if a non-Canadian student opts for a course or program that lasts for six months or less, he or she will not require the study permit to pursue the course.
However, in case a student pursuing such a course decides to continue his or her studies in another course, he or she will have to leave Canada in order to apply for a study permit through the Canada visa office.
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Visa
To be eligible for Canada Student Visa you must fulfill the following conditions:
- You must provide evidence of acceptance by a designated learning institute in Canada
- You have a valid passport
- You are in good health
- You must show proof that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during the course of your study in Canada and for your return transportation
- You must be a law abiding citizen without any criminal record
- You do not pose a security risk (You may be required to provide a police verification certificate)
- You agree to abide by the laws of the land
- You may be required to undergo a medical examination
- You intend to leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Canada Study Permit
Before you apply for Canada student visa, go through the information provided for the visa/permit requirements on the CIC website to become sure about your eligibility for the same. Once you are sure that you are eligible for application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Obtain letter of acceptance
The first and foremost step towards applying for a Canada study permit is to obtain a letter of acceptance from a recognized higher educational institution. Only after you have received the letter of acceptance, you can proceed further with the study permit application procedure.
Step 2: Check the processing time
Find out about the duration of time needed to process a study permit application. This will give you an idea about when to apply so that you can reach Canada to pursue your course on time.
Step 3: Determine how you will apply
Once you have received the letter of acceptance you will have to decide how you want to apply for the study permit. You can apply in either of the two ways:
- Apply Online – To apply online you should have access to a credit card and a scanner or camera in order to be able to create electronic copies of your supporting documents. For online application you can click here.
- Apply on paper – To apply on paper download the application form for your study permit and the relevant checklist and follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 4: Download the application kit
The application kit contains information about how to apply, the documents needed for application and other information about filling up the study permit application form.
Step 5: Fill out the tourist visa application form
Read the instruction guide and carefully fill up the application form. Note that the completed application must include the barcode page. Your application may be returned or refused if you do not provide all the requested information, documents and fees.
Step 6: Check the provincial guidelines for studying in Quebec
In case you have applied to study in the province of Quebec, you will require a Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ from the government of Quebec. You will have to submit one of the following documents along with your student visa application.
- Certificate of acceptance
- Approval letter provided by the Quebec government before the CAQ is issued. This letter contains your CAQ number.
If you have not already received your CAQ, you can still apply for your study permit. However, you must provide a proof along with the application form that shows that you have initiated the procedure. You can provide proof of payment of the CAQ, etc. Note that your study permit application may be rejected without the proof for CAQ if you have applied to study in the province of Quebec.
Step 7: Pay the processing fee
Pay the fees for your study permit. Fees must be paid via bank draft or certified cheque. You must refer to the fee schedule for current fees and bank draft details. Note that you must check the fee schedule webpage again just before paying for the latest information on visa application fees.
Note that if you need a temporary resident visa, you will be issued one at the same time as the study permit and at no extra cost.
Step 8: Submit your application
Yu can apply online or submit your application in person at a visa application centre (VAC). You will be required to give your biometrics at the VAC in both cases. You will have to submit your application along with all the required documents and fees in accordance to the guidelines for the submission of your application. You will receive a receipt. This receipt will contain your unique tracking number which is necessary to track the progress of your application online.
Step 9: Track your application online
Using the unique tracking number, track your application online.
Required Fees for Canada Student Visa
Fees for Canadian Study Permit – CAD 150 (INR 8,250.05)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your visa application is refused.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates which may change.
Canada Student Visa Exemption Program
As per the Canada Visa Exemption Program, citizens of the following countries are allowed to enter Canada without a visa:
|Andorra||Antigua and Barbuda||Australia|
|Iceland||Ireland||Israel (National Passport holders only)|
|Italy||Japan||Korea (Republic of)|
|Latvia (Republic of)||Lithuania||Liechtenstein s|
|Norway||Papua New Guinea||Poland|
|Portugal||St. Kitts and Nevis||St. Lucia|
|St. Vincent||San Marino||Singapore|
|Switzerland||United Kingdom||United States|
Renewal of Canada Student Visa
The Canadian study permit can be renewed. You will be able to renew it by applying from within Canada if you decide to continue your studies.
Dos and Don’ts for Canadian Study Permit
You need to remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Canadian study permit.
- Apply for a study permit well in advance of your planned travel date to allow time for the application procedure to be completed on time for you to join your course
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring along all forms and supporting documents for submitting your application form
- Do not present false documents for your study permit
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application
- Top 10 Universities In Canada
- International Students In Canada -Why The Country Is An Educational Hub
More About Canada Immigration and Jobs
- Canadian Job Opportunities For Chefs – The Job Market And Opportunities
- Asian Immigrants in Canada – Interesting Facts
- Types Of Canadian Visa – The Complete List
- Canadian Citizenship Test – 10 Sample Questions And Answers
- Canada Skilled Worker – How to Migrate to Canada as One?