Young Indians wanting to migrate to the United Kingdom have a new route they could take. As part of a new agreement between the two countries, the UK government has entered a non-binding agreement with India called the UK-India Young Professionals Scheme. India is the first country whose citizens require a UK visa to formalize such an agreement.
According to the UK-India Young Professionals Scheme up to 3000 young, professionally qualified Indians will be allowed to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. In exchange, India will welcome 3000 UK nationals to do the same in India. It is aimed at enriching the economy of both countries as well as encouraging cultural exchange.
Read: What Is The UK’s New High Potential Individual Visa Or HPI Visa?
Currently, Indians looking at living and working in the UK may apply for one of the below visas:
- Health and Care Worker visa
- Skilled Worker visa
- Scale-up Worker visa
- Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)
- International Sportsperson visa
- Minister of Religion visa (T2)
Read: The UK Graduate Visa Route – Everything You Must Know
UK-India Young Professionals Scheme – Who Is Eligible?
Hopeful applicants must meet certain criteria to be eligible for the scheme. These are:
- They must be between the ages of 18 and 30 years
- They must meet minimum English language requirements and be able to express themselves in English
- They must have a relevant diploma or degree equivalent to 3 years or more of higher education
- Having a job offer from a YK employer may be advantageous
The eligibility requirements have not yet been finalized and hence they are subject to change.
UK-India Young Professionals Scheme – How Will Candidates Be Selected?
The details of the selection process have not yet been finalized. Experts see the scheme as being over-subscribed with a majority of Indian candidates meeting the eligibility criteria. There are also concerns that the category may be monopolized by large tech companies since this will be an easier way to hire Indian talent.
Most likely, selection will take the form of a lottery as followed in some countries part of the Youth Mobility visa program.
- How To Apply For The UK Start Up Visa
- Indian Entrepreneurs Have New Foreign Destinations In Sight
- Different Types Of Visas To India