- Women cannot sponsor relatives for a family visa
- To migrate to Dubai for work, the applicant must already have a confirmed job offer
- Even if you have a valid visa, you may be deported if you do not pass the health checks
In 2018, of the 9.54 million people living the UAE, almost 8.5 million were expats. This goes to show the popularity of the UAE as a destination for migrants. If you want to migrate to Dubai here are a few ways you can go about it.
Dubai is a popular destination for immigrants, especially those from India. The number of migrants in Dubai is so high that only about 15% of the population is native to Dubai. A majority of the inhabitants here are from India, Pakistan, Iran, Nepal, the Philippines, and Spain.
Expat Population in the UAE in 2018
|Country||Population in Millions||Percentage|
|Total Expat population||8.447||0.8852|
Why Migrate to Dubai?
Better job opportunities are one of the most common reasons why people migrate to Dubai. Given its high migrant population, people here are very warm and welcoming. Dubai has a diverse culture and an active art scene. Work hours in Dubai vary between 40-48 hours per week.
All employees are very well paid and living here offers many people a chance of living a much better quality of life than that they would have had back home.
How to Migrate to Dubai
There are six different types of visas available for people who want to migrate to Dubai. These are:
To be eligible for this visa the applicant must be at least 18 years old, have a valid passport and have a confirmed job offer from a registered company based in Dubai. All the paperwork needed for this visa will be handled by the company sponsoring the applicant. It is one of the most common visas used by people moving to Dubai. Visa fees are also payable by the company.
Dependent Visa or Family Visa
A person married to a resident of Dubai is eligible for a dependent visa. This visa can also be used by parents who want to migrate to Dubai to be with their children or vice versa. In the case of parents sponsoring their children, the child must be less than 18 years old and unmarried. Some of the requirements for this visa are:
- The sponsor must earn at least AED 4,000 per month or AED 3,000 per month plus company sponsored accommodation to sponsor a spouse or child
- The sponsor must earn at least AED 20,000 per month to sponsor parents
- Both parents must be sponsored together. If the parents are separated or if one parent is deceased, documentary proof is needed of the same.
The documents required include:
- Completed application form
- Sponsor’s original passport
- Sponsor’s salary certificate or proof of job contract
- Passport photographs of the dependents
- Copy of the dependent’s passport
- Proof of relationship
- Proof that the sponsor is the sole provider for the dependents
A refundable processing fee is payable when applying for this visa to migrate to Dubai. This fee will be refunded when the visa is canceled. It is important to note that women cannot sponsor dependants.
To apply for a student visa the applicant must be sponsored by a relative in Dubai or by the university. This visa is valid for one year and may be renewed later. The documents required include:
- Valid passport
- 4 copies of the passport
- 12 passport photographs
- Admission offer letter
- Proof of financial sufficiency
- Proof of accommodation in Dubai
- Copy of the tuition fee receipt
- Copy of visa fee receipt
- In the case of postgraduate students, a copy of the undergraduate degree is also needed.
On arrival, every student must undergo a health check. Anyone who tests positive for HIV, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis or leprosy will be deported.
This visa is designed for people who invest a certain amount of money in Dubai. Investing in Dubai has many benefits including no personal income tax, no capital gains tax and no corporation tax. The immigrant may invest in an existing company based in Dubai or set up his own company.
The applicant cannot be employed by any other employer in the UAE without No-Objection letter. This visa is valid for three years and may be renewed. The exact amount to be invested varies from place to place within Dubai.
Property Owner Visa
Investing in property in Dubai makes a person eligible for this visa. The minimum amount to be invested in this case is AED 10,00,000. This refers to the purchase value, not the current market value. The property must be a residential property and must be ready to move into.
The applicant must also have a monthly income of at least AED 10,000. Once the applicant has received a residence visa he may sponsor his spouse and children to migrate to Dubai as well.
The documents required to apply for this visa include:
- Original passport
- Original title deed of the property
- Certificate of good conduct from the Dubai police
- NOC from the developer
- 6 passport sized photographs
Foreigners who migrate to Dubai are not granted citizenship often. Children born in the UAE get citizenship by birth. Those born to UAE citizens outside the country may apply for citizenship after the age of 18 years. A woman can get citizenship by marriage if the marriage lasts at least 3 years.
Dual citizenship is not recognized in Dubai. It is also important to note that naturalized citizens do not have the right to stand for elections.
Foreigners wishing to apply for citizenship must meet the below criteria:
- The applicant must have lived legally in the UAE for at least 30 years
- The applicant must earn a good salary
- The applicant must have a good character
- The applicant must not have a criminal record
- The applicant must have sufficient knowledge of the Arabic language