Any foreign national who wishes to visit Luxembourg as a tourist will have to obtain a tourist visa for the purpose. The Luxembourg tourist visa is a short stay visa which is also known as Type C visa or Schengen visa. It permits a visitor to enter Luxembourg for the purpose of tourism, visiting friends and relatives or participating in a conference or business meet.
Since Luxembourg is a member of the Schengen Agreement, it follows the common visa rules applicable to all Schengen countries. In other words, the Schengen visa is valid for all the European states that are part of the Schengen agreement, including Luxembourg. This means that a visitor who is issued the Schengen visa can travel and stay not only in Luxembourg, but in all the 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement.
Citizens of certain countries are exempted from the visa requirement provided that the duration of their stay in Luxembourg is not more than 90 days.
Validity of Luxembourg Tourist Visa
The Schengen visa is valid for a maximum duration of 90 days per six-month period. The visa is issued for single or multiple entries. In case of multiple entries, the total duration of a visitor’s stay over the multiple visits to places in the Schengen area cannot exceed the 90 days limit valid for a period of six months.
Eligibility Criteria for Luxembourg Tourist Visa
To be eligible for Luxembourg tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport with at least 2 blank pages and your passport must have been issued within the last 10 years
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- You must have a copy of your completed and signed visa application form
- You must provide proof of confirmed hotel reservation and flight bookings
- You must provide your complete travel program for the entire duration of your stay in Luxembourg, including itinerary, dates and places to be visited
- You must provide a copy of your round-trip or onward journey ticket
- You must provide proof of sufficient financial means so as to support yourself financially during your stay in Luxembourg and for your return transportation
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from your bank for the last 3 months and the statement must be signed by the bank manager
- You must provide a copy of your Income Tax Return papers for the last 2 years
- You must show proof of having individual medical travel insurance that is valid in all the Schengen countries and it must have a minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 (INR 2,132,543.10). It must cover costs for your emergency medical treatment or urgent hospitalisation or transportation back to your home country if required and must cover the entire duration of your stay in Luxembourg
- If you are a minor under the age of 18 years and intend to travel alone to Luxembourg, you will have to provide a written consent from your parents or guardians who have your custody and it must be certified by a public notary. If you intend to travel with only one parent, a written consent of the other parent or guardian is required.
- You intend to leave Luxembourg at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Luxembourg Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Luxembourg tourist visa, check the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Your first step is to obtain the tourist visa application form. You can obtain it either from Luxembourg’s Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in your country or you can download the Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out all the information required in the application form carefully. Remember to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Download or make a checklist of all the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old.
You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the application by the Luxembourg Consulate located in your country of residence.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Fix an appointment at the Luxembourg visa application centre to submit your application. You may be asked to appear for a personal interview at the Embassy of Luxembourg. Submit your completed application form at the application centre nearest to you, along with all the required documentation.
Note that you will have to submit the application in person as representatives or travel agents are not allowed to submit the Luxembourg tourist visa application on your behalf.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the required fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. You may collect the visa personally at the relevant Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post. You can also avail the option of courier delivery of your passport.
Required Fees for Luxembourg Tourist Visa
- Fees for Luxembourg Tourist Visa for Visitors above 13 years of age – EUR 60 (INR 4,274.58)
- Fees for Luxembourg Tourist Visa for Children between 6 to 12 years of age – EUR 35 (INR 2,493.51)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The visa fee is exempted for children under 6 years of age
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Exemption of Luxembourg Tourist Visa
Since Luxembourg is a member of the Schengen Agreement, it follows the common visa rules applicable to all Schengen countries. Citizens of some specified countries are exempted from having a tourist visa if they intend to stay in Luxembourg for no more than 90 days. A list of such countries is provided below:
|Albania||Andorra||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Czech Republic||Denmark||El Salvador|
|Romania||Saint Kitts and Nevis||San Marino|
|Taiwan||United Arab Emirates||United Kingdom|
|United States of America||Uruguay||Vatican City|
Dos and Don’ts for Luxembourg Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Luxembourg tourist visa.
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 3 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Embassy of Luxembourg
- Be prepared to submit any additional documents that may be asked for by the immigration officer at the visa application centre
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application