Any visitor who wants to visit Panama as a tourist will need to be in possession of a valid passport and an onward or return ticket. Depending on the nationality of the visitor, he or she may additionally require an authorized visa or a visa stamp or a tourist card or only a passport to enter Panama.
An authorized visa is a restrictive tourist visa that visitors need to obtain before they enter Panama. The duration of stay granted for a tourist with an authorized visa is determined by the migration authorities.
A visa stamp is another type of tourist visa that must be obtained by a tourist from the Panamanian Consulate in his or her country of residence. It permits a visitor to enter Panama several times throughout the year. The validity of the length of stay for a visitor with stamped visa is generally 30 days per visit.
A visitor who is eligible to visit Panama on a tourist card can apply for a visa stamp. However, citizens of some countries are specifically required to have a visa stamp for entering Panama.
A tourist card is another travel document that allows tourists of certain countries to enter Panama. Such tourists may not need any visa to enter the country. A tourist can simply purchase a tourist card, complete the required information and show it together with the passport while entering Panama.
Tourist visas and tourist cards for Panama are generally valid for 90 days period from the date of issue.
Eligibility Criteria for Panama Tourist Visa
To be eligible for Panama tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport with at least two unused pages
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- You must have a copy of the completed application form
- You must provide a copy of your ID or residence card from your home country
- You must provide a copy of your onward or return ticket to your home country or next destination
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself monetarily during your stay in Panama and for your return transportation. Panama requires visitors to have at least USD 500 (INR 31,853.31) in cash or its equivalent as proof of financial solvency
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from your bank for the previous 6 months, letter of employment, or traveller’s checks
- You must not have a criminal record
- You intend to leave Panama at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Panama Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Panama tourist visa, check the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Obtain the visa application form from the Embassy of Panama or Panamanian Consulate in your country of residence.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the visa application by the Panamanian Consulate located in your country of residence.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form at the Panamanian Consulate along with all the required documentation.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued collect it on time.
Required Fees for Panama Tourist Visa
- Fees for Authorized Visa – USD 100 (INR 6,370.66)
- Fees for Visa Stamp – USD 85 (INR 5,415.06)
- Fees for Tourist Card – USD 15 (INR 955.60)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Extension of Panama Tourist Visa
In case you want to stay longer in Panama than the duration granted in your visa, you will have to apply for an extension at the nearest immigration office in Panama. This tourist extension is known as a prórroga de turista.
You will have to pay an additional charge or visa extension fee of USD 15 (INR 955.60) to obtain the extension. The request for extension must be made at least 7 days before your visa expires.
Panama Tourist Visa Exemption
Panama exempts the citizens of several countries and territories from obtaining a tourist visa to visit the country as Panama has treaties with such countries. The citizens of such nations and territories can visit and stay in Panama for up to 180 days without a visa. The following is the list of the visa-exempted countries and territories for Panama:
|Andorra||Angola||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Bhutan||Bolivia||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Botswana||Brazil||British National Overseas (BNO)|
|Papua New Guinea||Paraguay||Peru|
|Romania||Russia||Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Saint Lucia||Saint Thomas and Prince|
|Samoa||San Marino||Saudi Arabia|
|South Africa||South Korea||Spain|
|St. Vincent and the Grenadines||Sweden||Switzerland|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Turkey||Tuvalu|
|Ukraine||United Arab Emirates||United Kingdom|
|United States of America||Uruguay||Vanuatu|
Dos and Don’ts for Panama Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Panama tourist visa.
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 8 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Panamanian Consulate
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application