A visitor who wants to visit the Republic of Maldives as a tourist does not require a visa prior to his or her arrival in the country. Maldives issues free visa or entry permits to citizens of all countries on their arrival at designated ports of entry, based on the immigration requirements. This free tourist visa is valid for a period of up to 30 days.
The Maldives tourist visa is issued strictly for tourism and sightseeing purposes only. Visitors entering Maldives with such a visa cannot take up any kind of employment or set up any business or conduct any professional activities, whether paid or unpaid, except with the consent and in conformity with the pertinent laws and regulations of the government of Maldives.
It is to be noted that a full 30 day Maldives visa is not a right of the visitor to claim, but it lies at the discretion of the Immigration officer to issue more than 30 days visa or any period less than 30 days.
Eligibility Criteria to Enter Maldives as a Tourist
To be eligible to obtain Maldives tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport
- Your passport must have a validity of at least 3 months
- You must provide proof of confirmed hotel reservation and flight bookings
- You must provide a copy of your onward or return ticket to your home country or next destination
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in Maldives and for your return transportation. Maldives requires visitors to have at least USD 150 (INR 9,610.59)** per day for staying in the country or a confirmation of reservation in a tourist resort or a hotel
- You must have an adequate health insurance plan in order to cover up any risks
- You intend to leave Maldives at the end of your authorized stay
** The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
Steps to follow to obtain Maldives Tourist Visa
Though Maldives does not require visitors to apply for a tourist visa prior to their arrival in the country, they need to do so at their point of entry into the country. Visas are issued on arrival at the immigration desk in Maldives. Here are the basic steps to obtain a visa on arrival in Maldives:
Step 1: Obtain the visa application form
Obtain the visa application form from the immigration desk upon your arrival at the airport or entry-point in Maldives.
Step 2: Fill up the application form
Fill up the visa application form at the airport with utmost care and put your signature on the completed form.
Step 3: Check the required documents
Check the documents required for the visa and keep them ready to be submitted along with the application form.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to the specifications required for the visa photograph.
Step 5: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form and all the required documentation for the tourist visa at the immigration desk of the airport.
Required Fees for Maldives Tourist Visa
There is no fee applicable for visa on arrival in Maldives.
Renewal of Maldives Tourist Visa
In case you want to stay longer in Maldives than the duration granted in your tourist visa, you will have to apply for a renewal to the Department of Immigration and Emigration. The application for renewal must be done before the expiration of the initial 30 days visa already granted to you. An extension can only be applied through the Visa Extension Application Form.
Generally visitors are granted an extension of up to 90 days. You will have to pay an additional charge for the visa extension. Remember that visitors who stay beyond the approved duration of their visa may be deported.
Dos and Don’ts for Maldives Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Maldives tourist visa.
- Fill up your visa application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents required for the tourist visa
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application
Other countries you can visit on the way to Maldives,