A foreign national who wants to visit Iran for the purpose of tourism needs to obtain a tourist visa. The Iran tourist visa is meant for those visitors who wish to travel to country for the purpose of sightseeing or to visit friends and relatives. This visa must be obtained before coming to Iran. However, passport holders of a few specific nations can get a visa on arrival in Iran.
Iran tourist visa remains valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issue. The tourist visa allows a visitor to stay in Iran for a maximum duration of 30 days.
Eligibility Criteria for Iran Tourist Visa
To be eligible for Iran tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport with at least two unused pages for visa stamps
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 6 months
- You must provide a copy of the completed visa application form
- You must provide proof of confirmed hotel reservation, flight bookings and travel itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in Iran
- You must provide a copy of your onward or return ticket to your home country or next destination
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in Iran
- You must provide a copy of your most recent monthly bank statement. The statement must clearly show your name as the account holder, the balances of the accounts, and the date of the statement
- You must show proof of having adequate medical travel insurance coverage from Iranian or foreign insurance agents. It must cover costs for your emergency medical treatment or urgent hospitalisation or transportation back to your home country if required and must cover the entire duration of your stay in Iran
- Your passport must not contain any evidence of your prior or intended travel to Israel
- You intend to leave Iran at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Iran Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Iran tourist visa, check the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Obtain the visa reference number
The first step for obtaining the Iran tourist visa is to acquire the visa reference number or visa authorization code. To obtain the visa reference number, send a copy of your passport to your invitee or sponsor in Iran. Your invitee or sponsor can go to a travel agent in Iran and fill an invitation form. After the processing and approval of the invitation form by the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs you will receive your visa reference number.
This reference number or code is valid for 25 days in the Iran Embassy or Consulate that you have chosen to pick up your visa at.
Step 2: Download the visa application form
Obtain the visa application form from the Iran Consulate in your country of residence or you can download the Visa Application Form from the internet.
Step 3: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 4: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 5: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 6: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your visa application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the visa application by the Iran Consulate located in your country of residence.
Step 7: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form in person or through your travel agents at the Iran Consulate, along with all the required documentation and your visa reference number. You may also submit the application form and the required documents through mail.
Step 8: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 9: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. Collect your visa on time. You may also request your visa to be delivered to you through mail. In this case, you will have to include a return envelope with address and adequate prepaid postage along with the documents while submitting your visa application form.
Required Fees for Iran Tourist Visa
Fees for Iran tourist visa varies according to the nationality of the visitor. As such, you must contact the Iran Consulate where you intend to apply for the visa to know the exact visa application fee.
Extension of Iran Tourist Visa
In case you want to stay longer in Iran than the duration granted in your visa, you will have to apply for an extension. Generally an extension is not easy to be obtained in Iran and is usually granted for a maximum period of 15 days.
Iran Tourist Visa Exemption
Iran exempts the citizens of several countries and territories from obtaining a tourist visa to visit the country. The citizens of such nations can visit and stay in Iran for up to 90 days without a visa. The following is the list of the visa-exempted countries for Iran:
- Sri Lanka
Dos and Don’ts for Iran Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Iran tourist visa.
- Apply for your Iran tourist visa at least 8 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details as incomplete applications are not accepted
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Embassy of Iran
- Do not present false documents to obtain an Iran tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application