A visitor who wants to visit South Africa for the purpose of tourism will require a visitors’ visa. The visitors’ visa is valid for a period of up to 90 days. This temporary visit visa is valid for sightseeing and business meets.
On entering South Africa a visa is considered to be a visitor’s permit. The period of validity for the permit is calculated from the date of the visitor’s entry into the country.
Eligibility Criteria for South Africa Tourist Visa
To be eligible for South Africa tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport or travel document
- Your passport or travel document must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 30 days
- Your passport must have at least two unused pages for entry / departure endorsements
- You must have a completed visa application form
- You must provide a statement and/or documentation confirming the purpose and duration of your visit
- You must provide proof of confirmed hotel reservation, flight bookings and travel itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in South Africa
- You must provide a copy of your return or onward journey ticket if you are travelling by air
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in South Africa and for your return transportation.
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from your bank for the previous 6 months
- You will require an International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever if your journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America
- You intend to leave South Africa at the end of your authorized stay
- In case you have children (minors) travelling with you or joining in South Africa, you will have to provide
- Proof of guardianship or custody, or
- Consent from the guardian in the case of an unaccompanied minor
Steps to follow to apply for South Africa Tourist Visa
Before you apply for South Africa tourist visa, go through the visa application regulations and the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Obtain the visa application form
Obtain the visa application form from the South African Embassy or Consulate near you. Remember that application forms downloaded from the internet will not be accepted. You will have to fill up and submit an original visa application form that has been obtained from the South African Embassy or Consulate or from a travel agent.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully and authentically. Do not forget to put your signature on your completed application form. Incomplete visa application forms will not be accepted.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your visa application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the visa application by the Embassy of South Africa located in your home country.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form along with all the required documentation at the South African Embassy. You can submit the form in person or through your travel agent or through a relative or friend. You can also submit the visa application through mail by sending the application form and the necessary documents through a reliable courier service.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Ensure that you pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. Collect your visa on time.
Required Fees for South Africa Tourist Visa
Fees for South Africa tourist visa varies according to the nationality of the visitor. Visitors must check the applicable fee from the South African Embassy or Consulate where they intend to submit their visa application form.
Extension of South Africa Tourist Visa
In case you want to stay longer in South Africa than the duration granted in your visa, you will have to apply for an extension for your temporary residence permit at your nearest Home Affairs customer service centre in South Africa. You will have to do this well before your permit’s validity is over. You may have to pay additional fees for the extension of your stay.
South Africa Tourist Visa Exemption
South Africa exempts the citizens of several countries/ territories/ international organizations from obtaining a tourist visa to visit the country. The period of stay allowed for such visitors varies from up to 30 days to 90 days. The following is the list of the visa-exempted countries/ territories/ international organisations for South Africa:
|African Union Laissez Passer||Andorra||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Cape Verde||Chile||Costa Rica|
|Slovak Republic||South Korea||Spain|
|St Vincent & the Grenadines||Swaziland||Sweden|
|Trinidad & Tobago||Turkey||United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|United States of America||Uruguay||Venezuela|
Dos and Don’ts for South Africa Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for South Africa tourist visa.
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 4 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application
- How to apply for South Africa Student Visa