- Staying on campus is the most budget-friendly option for international students
- Apartments are usually shared by a group of students
- Homestays are a good option for young international undergraduate students.
For students moving abroad for higher education, finding the right accommodation isn’t easy. Ideally, students need a place to stay that suits their budget, is close to their classes and safe. Read on to find out the different options housing options for international students in USA.
The USA is home to some of the top universities in the world. This is what brings a large number of international students to America. For international students, getting admission and tuition are only two of the many things on the to-do checklist.
Finding accommodation is usually the next point on the list. There are a number of options for a student to choose between.
Accommodation For International Students In USA – On And Off Campus Options
Many colleges and universities in America offer accommodation on the campus. Rooms in these dormitories are usually shared by two to three students.
Most dormitories have common showers and toilets. One of the biggest advantages of living on campus is the proximity to classes, the cafeteria, libraries and other campus facilities.
Thus, they are convenient for academic as well as social activities. The cost of utilities such as electricity is usually included in the accommodation costs. Since most colleges offer flexible meal plans, staying on campus also helps control costs.
There are some campuses that do not offer on-campus accommodation. In such cases, international students will need to look at off-campus options. Off-campus options may be categorized as homestays or renting an apartment.
Leasing An Apartment
Leasing an apartment is usually more expensive than homestays or staying in a dormitory. When it comes to leasing an apartment, the closer it is to the school, the more convenient it will be for you. Apartments for rent can be found in the classified section of newspapers.
Students often share apartments and put up notices for empty rooms in the apartment on school notice boards. Many colleges also offer online roommate finding services. As a last resort, you could also turn to a real estate agent but these agents will charge a fee for their services.
When leasing an apartment some of the things to be checked include:
- How conveniently the apartment is located with respect to your college
- How safe the area is
- Are there any grocery and convenience stores located close by
- How will you get to and from college
- Is the apartment furnished or will you need to furnish the apartment
- Is the landlord responsible for your possessions or do you need renter’s insurance
- Does your rent include utilities
Homestays are a very budget friendly Accommodation for international students for USA who cannot find on-campus accommodation. In such an arrangement, students will be placed with an American family that lives within a 45-minute radius around the college campus.
These arrangements are particularly helpful for undergraduate students who are nervous about living in a foreign country. Students are usually given their own room and all meals are provided by the host family.
Accommodation For International Students In USA – Temporary Options
While the above are long-term solutions to student accommodation, when a student first reaches America, they may need to first find temporary accommodation while they are looking for a permanent solution. There are many different types of temporary accommodation available. These include:
- Staying with friends -If you know someone in the same school or area, you could stay with them or with one of their friends. This arrangement may be comfortable for a few days while you look for more permanent accommodation.
- Youth hostels – Most cities have a youth hostel that offers dormitory style accommodation. These hostels usually have a curfew and lockout hours. Youth hostels are budget friendly and are a great way to meet new people. You may even be able to find future roommates at youth hostels.
- Hotels – Hotels and motels are probably the most expensive option for international students. While they may offer reduced rates for a long-term stay, these rates are still not inclusive of utilities.
- Study in the US – Rising Level of Immigrant Educational Qualifications
- The A To Z Of Tax Filing In The USA For International Students
- The Cost Of Living In The USA – A Guide For Expats And Students
- USA Introduces Changes To The Optional Practical Training Or OPT Program
- Checklist For International Students Going To The US