There are several types of visas to Georgia. Using one of these visas an international traveler can enter Georgia and be there for a short while or a longer period or transit through the country while traveling to another destination.
The Georgian visa may either be stamped inside the passport of the international traveler/migrant or be electronically issued which is referred to as the e-visa.
Depending on your purpose of visit to this country and the days you intend to be there you may apply for a long term visa or a short term visa. The different types of visas to Georgia include the following;
- Work visas
- Visas for research
- Student visa
- Visa for tourists
- Short-term visa to visit family/friends
- Visa for diplomats
- Family reunification visa
- Transit visa
Officially known as the Federal Republic of Georgia, this country is situated in Central Europe. Georgia has some of the most beautiful beaches on the Black sea coast and this nation is also home to mountain villages
The capital city of Tbilisi is known for its mind-blowing architecture, castles that look right out of a fairytale, and old-town streets of cobblestone. The cave monastery, Vardzia, dates back to the 12the century AD.
Besides, this nation is also famous for wine and cuisine with herbs. All these factors attract several international tourists to Georgia every single year.
Several colleges and universities in Georgia offer good quality education, training, and degrees. Compared to most of the other nations Georgia has very low tuition fees for education. Hence, this country is quite popular among international students
The low cost of living, minimum regulations, low taxes and the welcoming nature of its citizens brings in a lot of foreigners to this nation for work, for making business investments and as migrants. Georgia also has a good standard of living.
Georgian Visa Classifications
Unless you belong to one of the countries that have visa exemptions to travel to Georgia an international traveler/migrant requires a Georgian visa to be there. The visas to Georgia are broadly classified into the following:
- Short-Term Visa For Single Entry
- This visa is issued based on the number of days the applicant has requested for his/her stay in Georgia.
- This is a short term visa than can be used for a one-time entry.
- The maximum days a person can stay using this visa is 30 days.
- Short-Term Visa For Multiple Entry
- This visa is issued to a foreign national who has been in Georgia during the previous year at least once
- The duration of this visa is for five years
- You can make multiple visits to Georgia using this visa
- However, the maximum time limit of a stay at a time is 90 days within 180 days.
- Long-Stay Visa
- This visa allows you to stay a long while in Georgia
- This visa may be sanctioned for one year or for the entire term the foreigner plans to be in Georgia
- This visa is usually applied by international students, workers, the family of a Georgian citizen/resident and other migrants
Do All Foreigners Require Visas To Georgia?
No, not all international travelers or migrants require a visa to travel to and be in Georgia. The citizens of the European Union and the following nations can be in Georgia for higher studies or employment or as a tourist for a maximum of one year without a Georgian visa or permit for residence:
|Antigua and Barbuda||Kuwait||South Korea|
|Azerbaijan||Kyrgyzstan||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Brunei||Mexico||The United Kingdom British Overseas Territories|
|Canada||Montenegro||United Arab Emirates|
|Chile: Maximum of 90 days in 180 days||New Zealand||Ukraine|
|Colombia||Norway||Uruguay (Maximum of 90 days)|
|Dominican Republic||Panama||United States of America|
|El Salvador||Qatar||Vatican City|
Other Nations With Visa Exemptions
Visa exemptions to Georgia are also applicable to those people who have a visa/resident permit of the following nations:
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- Overseas territories of a country belonging to the EU
- Those holding a service passport/diplomatic passport of:
- If you hold a laissez-passer of the US. The visa is valid for a maximum of one year
Different Kinds Of Visas To Georgia
International traveler/migrant who wishes to be in Georgia for a short-stay or a long-stay requires one among the visas given below:
- Category A: Diplomatic Visa To Georgia
- Category B: Special Visa To Georgia
- Category C: Ordinary Visa To Georgia
- Category D: Immigration Visa To Georgia
- Category T: Transit Visa To Georgia
Category A: Diplomatic Visa To Georgia
The ‘Category A’ visa contains different types of visas issued to diplomats and their family members from other countries. Their visit to Georgia is for official reasons most of the time.
Category A1 Visa
- This visa is issued to top officials occupying the foreign legislative positions
- Foreign delegators occupying the top positions in their native land
- Executive authorities of a foreign nation
- Family members who are accompanying them
- The purpose of the visit may be official, unofficial, friendly or related to business
Category A2 Visa
- This visa is for consular officials and their family
- Employees working for diplomatic missions accredited to the country of Georgia
- Employees working for representative international organizations situated in Georgia and who have been granted the status of a diplomat by Georgia and their family
Category A3 Visa
- Individuals appointed for diplomatic missions in Georgia are given this type of visa
Category A4 Visa
- Honorary consuls of Georgia who are citizens of another country along with their family are granted this visa
Category A5 Visa
- This visa is for individuals who are on different missions in Georgia working towards the country’s national interests
- The individuals could have an official/business/regular/diplomatic passport
Category B: Special Visas To Georgia
The different types of visas issued to foreign nationals under this category are as follows:
Category B1 Visa
- This visa is for foreign delegation members who plan to travel to Georgia and their family and others who wishes to accompany them
- They have a service passport and they are on a working visit to this country
Category B2 Visa
This visa is issued to employees working for an international organization or a humanitarian organization situated in Georgia along with their family members and domestic workers (Who have Category A2 diplomatic visa)
Technical, administrative, service personnel who are on an international diplomatic mission can also avail this visa
Service staff and consular employees working in a consulate along with their family members and household employees are eligible for this type of visa to Georgia.
Category B3 Visa
- This visa is for members belonging to the special forces for peace-keeping
- For military workers who are deployed in Georgia based on an international treaty
- Individuals who arrive in Georgia based in the treaties in Georgia: both international and multilateral treaties of this country
Category B4 Visa
- This visa is for people traveling to Georgia as members of different national missions working towards the national interest of this country.
Category C: Ordinary Visas To Georgia
The following visas are issued to international travelers under the C category.
Category C1 Visa
- The C1 category visa is for international travelers who wish to travel to Georgia for a holiday or the purpose of tourism
Category C2 Visa
- The Category C2 visa is for foreigners who wish to be in Georgia for a short visit to visit their friends and family
- This visa is also for freelancers who wish to be in Georgia for a short while
Category C3 Visa
The category C3 visa is a short-stay visa issued for several purposes including the following:
- Foreigners traveling to Georgia to attend conferences, workshops, scientific training, and research programs
- To participate in a sports/cultural event
- For journalism
- For the crew of a ship docked in Georgia
- For individuals from other nations coming to Georgia for business negotiations and meetings
- For drivers who transport people and cargo internationally
Category C4 Visa
The Category C4 visa is required for the following purposes
- Foreigners who arrive in Georgia for medical care and treatment
- For pilgrimage
- People who wish to visit the grave of friends and family in Georgia
- For a caregiver or a guardian of a citizen of Georgia
- For an individual who is under the guardianship of a Georgian citizen
- For religious and charitable activities
- Those who wish to provide/receive humanitarian help during natural calamities/and situations that are life-threatening
Category D: Immigration Visas To Georgia
The different kinds of Immigration visas to Georgia are the following.
Category D1 Visa
- This visa is for foreigners who go to Georgia for work.
- This is a long-term visa
- For international workers who have entered in a work contract in Georgia
- Consultants and business representatives of organizations who wish to travel to Georgia for official duties
- For international business people to carry out business and related activities in Georgia without compromising on the Georgian law related to business activities
Category D2 Visa
- For foreigners who come to Georgia as volunteers or interns
- Individuals coming to this nation for educational, cultural, scientific or sports activities
- For media-persons who travel to Georgia for official reasons
- For self-employed people/freelancers
Category D3 Visa
- For international students who wish to pursue their higher education/ degree/diploma at a college /University that operates legally in Georgia
- A research program in Georgia
- For foreign students who are part of an international program for education
Category D4 Visa
- This visa is for family reunification
- For those international migrants who have a family member who is either a resident or a citizen of Georgia
Category D5 Visa
- For foreign nationals and their family members who have a right to immovable property in Georgia
- Foreigners do not have a right to agricultural land in Georgia
- The market price of the property should be above 35,000 US Dollars
Category T: Transit Visas To Georgia
- The Category visa is issued to international travelers who wish to travel to another country through Georgia
- The maximum limit of a transit visa in Georgia is 10 days
Extending A Visa To Georgia
International travelers/ migrants in Georgia can apply for a visa extension in the following types of visas.
- Special Visas: Category A
- Diplomatic Visas: Category B
- The foreigner has to submit the documents required to the Georgian Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Immigration visas: Category D3 and Category D5
- The applicant must apply for the extension at a Community Center, Public Service territorial offices, Public Service Hall branches in Georgia as well as the Georgian Ministry for Foreign Affairs
- This can be done while remaining in Georgia
- Until the final decision comes the foreigner cannot be expelled from the country
Where To Apply For A Georgian Visa?
- Visas to Georgia are issued by a Georgian Consulate or the Diplomatic Missions of Georgia within the native land of the applicant
- E-visa is issued by the Georgian Ministry for Foreign Affairs following the processing of the visa application submitted online
- The immigration visa is also issued by the Georgian Ministry for foreign affairs
- If you do not have a Georgian consulate in your native country you may submit the visa application at the consulate office of one of the neighboring countries
- Foreigners who do not live in their native land but is a resident of another country may apply for a Georgian visa at the consulate/ embassy of the country in which they reside in
Find out the type of visa to Georgia you require. Submit a visa application form along with all the necessary supporting documents and the fee for that particular visa at a Georgian consulate or embassy within your native country.
You can also choose to apply online. The visa will be granted if the authorities are convinced that you are a genuine applicant.