- Americans can migrate to the UK with a family visa, work visa, entrepreneur visa and student visa.
- For a work visa and entrepreneur visa, the applicant must have at least 70 or 95 points respectively.
- A family visa can be applied for from within or outside the UK
The United Kingdom balances a rich culture and history with a progressive economy. Americans migrate to the UK for a number of reasons including better job prospects, reuniting with family, to study or to start a new business. Read on to know how to migrate to the UK from the USA.
An American citizen recently moved to the UK and became a Duchess. She isn’t the only one to move across the Atlantic Ocean. People opt from the USA to UK Migration for many different reasons. Contrary to popular belief, the UK and Britain aren’t synonymous.
The UK comprises of Northern Ireland and Great Britain. This beautiful country is home to some of the world’s best restaurants, universities and museums. Whether you’re thinking of migrating to Scotland, England, Northern Ireland or Wales, moving to the UK can be a great way to explore a different culture.
How To Migrate To The UK From the USA?
An American citizen has two main visas to choose between when moving permanently to the UK – a family reunification visa and work visas. Some people also choose to migrate to the UK being first applying for a student visa and then changing status from a student visa to a work visa.
Migrate To The UK From the USA On A Work Visa
Like citizens of all other non-EU/ EFTA countries, American citizens must apply for a Tier 2 work visa to be able to migrate and work in the UK. A work visa is valid for a maximum of 5 years and 1 month. It may be extended if required or used to apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). This visa is granted in 4 categories:
- Intra-company transfers
- Skilled workers
- Minister of Religion
The criteria to be met to become eligible for this visa are:
- The applicant must have a confirmed job offer from a legitimate employer in the UK
- The applicant must have the equivalent qualification of a UK degree
- The applicant must have a diploma qualification needed for the position or 1 year’s relevant work experience
- 3 years work experience
- The applicant must pass a points-based assessment of his/ her qualifications and skills with at least 70 points.
- The applicant must have a minimum of £945 available with him. If dependents are included in the visa application, an additional £630 must be available per dependent.
Points are awarded on the basis of the applicant’s age, qualifications, sponsorship, language skills, expected earnings and funds available. To score points for English proficiency the applicant must belong to a country where English is his/ her mother tongue or he/ she must pass the IELTS test with a score of at least 6.5. Each trait has a different number of points associated with it.
|Sponsorship||The offer of a position in an occupation with a shortage||50|
|The offer of a position that passes Resident Labor Market Test||30|
|Intra Company Transfer||30|
|Others||Competence in English||10|
The documents required when applying for a work visa are
- Completed visa application form
- Recent passport sized photographs
- Valid passport with at least one blank page
- Bank statements from the past 6 months
- Proof of accommodation in the UK
- Detailed itinerary
- Tuberculosis test results
- Proof of having paid visa application fees
- Biometric information
- Copy of job offer letter
- Criminal record certification
- Police registration certificate
Migrate To The UK From The USA On A Family Visa
American citizens who have family members living in the UK can apply for a family visa to migrate to the UK. These are eligible for:
- The spouse of a UK resident
- The parent of a UK spouse
- The child of a UK resident
- A disabled, sick or aged dependent relative of a UK resident
- The widowed/ separated spouse of a former UK resident
A family visa can be applied for from outside the UK or within the UK if the process involves changing status from another type of visa to a family visa.
The documents required when applying for a family visa are:
- A completed visa application
- Valid health insurance
- UK biometric residence permit
- Information on criminal history or immigration history
- Results of a tuberculosis test
- Proof of proficiency over English
- Proof of having sufficient funds
- Recognition of qualifications
- Document certifying that the relative in the UK takes financial responsibility for the applicant
- Proof of sponsor’s financial capability
An American citizen can also apply for a visa to get married to a UK resident. In this case, the documents required are:
- Proof of the intention to get married to a UK resident
- Future address of the couple
- Proof of having booked a venue for a civil partnership/ wedding
- Proof of unmarried status if either member has been married before
Migrate To The UK From the USA On A Student Visa
If you do not have a confirmed job offer from a UK employer or family members who can sponsor a family visa you may want to consider a student visa. This is known as a Tier 4 visa. It is usually granted for one year. A student visa is granted to people who have been admitted to an educational institution in the UK. The eligibility criteria for this visa are:
- The applicant has confirmed admission to a full-time educational course in the UK
- The applicant must study B2 level English of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages unless he/she is a government-sponsored student
- The applicant must be able to sponsor himself/ herself financially with respect to tuition fees and accommodation
- The applicant must prove that he/ she will not have to rely on public funds
- The applicant must intend on returning to his/ her home country after completing the course
- The applicant must be proficient in English
USA To UK Migration On An Entrepreneur Visa
A citizen of USA can migrate to the UK on an entrepreneur visa is he/ she intends on setting up a business in the country and has access to at least £ 50,000 or £ 200,000. The new business should also create at least 2 new jobs for British citizens, EU citizens or EEA citizens.
The visa is valid for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months and may be extended for a further 2 years or used to apply for settlement.
To be eligible for this visa, the applicant must score at least 95 points on the visa point scale. The points may be awarded as such:
|The applicant has access to at least £200,000 of disposable funds or at least £50,000 from:|
• A registered venture capital firm
• An entrepreneurial seed fund
• A government department in the UK
|Have investment funds in a regulated financial institution||25|
|Have investment funds that can be spent freely||25|
|Have access to maintenance funds of at least £3,310||10|
|Meet English proficiency requirements||10|
The documents required for this visa include:
- Current passport
- Recent passport photograph
- Proof of having access to required funds
- Business plan
- Proof that the applicant can support themselves financially
- Proof of sufficiency in English
- A clean criminal record
- Results of a tuberculosis test
- Life in the United Kingdom Test – 10 Sample UK Citizenship Questions And Answers
- How to Migrate to the USA from the UK
- How to Migrate to the UK
- UK Immigration Post Brexit – Increase in Number of Indians and Chinese Getting Visas
- UK Visa Fee – Going to the Country May Soon Cost You More