There are many types of UK Visas. The country offers different kinds of visas to immigrants and tourists who wish to travel there as a tourist, for work, as a student or as permanent residents. Based on your purpose of visit, the UK visa could be long-term or short-term. Different types of UK visas include:
What Attracts Foreigners To The UK?
The UK or the United Kingdom is made up of four countries- England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. The island nation has much to offer to those who wish to migrate there for work, as a student or as a tourist.
The UK is home to some of the best Universities and educational institutions in the world offering training and education of the highest quality. This makes it one of the most preferred choices among international students.
Besides, the country also provides good job opportunities for international workers and professionals. The breath-taking scenery, ancient architecture, and monuments and the multilayered history of this country attract hundreds and thousands of tourists from around the globe every year.
Why You Need Different Types Of UK Visas?
There are different types of UK visas for international tourists and migrants depending on their purpose of visit. These visas are the documents of authorization that allows a foreigner to stay temporarily or permanently in the United Kingdome.
It can either be a document or a stamp in the passport that is given by the embassy of the UK or the consulate in the country where you reside in.
A visa to the UK can be applied for the following purposes:
- Higher education
- To do a business
- Transit while traveling to another country
- A vacation or tourism
- Short stay with family or loved ones
- To join your family residing in the UK
- To be a refugee
- To move there as a permanent resident
- To do a short-term course
The following are the different types of UK visas issued to foreigners who wish to migrate or visit the UK. Based on the purpose of visit the visa system has been organized under multiple types of visas.
7 Types Of UK Work Visas
Even though the UK has strict rules when it comes to offering work visas to people from other nations they do offer visas to professionals and workers who wish to work and live in this nation.
However, they have to prove that they are qualified enough and genuine for a particular post. These types of UK visas can be both long-term and short term depending on the nature of employment.
- Visa for Exceptional Talent- Tier 1 – These visas are issued for foreigners who have high levels of qualification and exceptional talents.
- General Visa- Tier 2
- Visa for Sports Person- Tier 2
- Visa for intra-company transfers- Tier 2
- Visa for Religious Ministers- Tier 2 – The above-mentioned work visas (2-5) are offered to skilled workers from other nations. They are given these employment offers because there is a shortage of workers in that specific area. The visa has to be sponsored by an employer in the UK who is licensed. The job offer must be within the United Kingdom. English language tests must be cleared by the applicant
- Visa for Youth Mobility Scheme- Tier 5
- These visas are given for youth mobility
- The Applicant must be between the age of 18 and 30 and from one of the following nations:
- Republic of Korea
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- British nationals residing in other countries can also apply
- Visa For Temporary Workers – These visas are offered to temporary workers from foreign nations
Other types of work visas issued by the government of the United Kingdom include the following:
- Visa for Turkish workers
- Visa for domestic workers in a private house
- Work visa-exempt vignette
- Certificate of Croatian National Registration
Different Types Of UK Business Visas
International people who wish to start a business in the UK can consider applying for one of the following visas:
- Visa for Investors- Tier 1
- An investment amount of 2,000,000 Euros by the visa applicant is required
- Money must be invested in the UK
- Minimum age of 18 years
- Visa for Turkish business
- Visa for entrepreneur
- Minimum age of 16 years
- Must clear the test for English language proficiency
- A minimum investment amount of 50,000 Euros
- This investment amount needs to be spent in the UK
- Visa for graduate entrepreneurs.
- A Bachelor’s/Masters/Doctoral Degree
- Must clear the tests for proficiency in the English language
- Endorsement from an endorsement body that is recognized
Tourist/Visitors Visa To The UK
If you wish to travel to the UK as a tourist you are required to apply for the UK Visitor Visa. You are required to apply for a standard visitor visa for the following situations.
- For medical and hospital care/treatment
- To attend a family event
- To attend a conference/seminar
- To attend a short-term course
To apply for the visa the applicant must be from a country outside Switzerland or the EEA. You can apply for it three months prior to the intended date of travel.
- The applicant can stay up to a maximum of 6 months under this visa
- The visa can be extended up to 11 months for the purpose of medical treatment and care
- Must leave the UK before the expiry of the visa
- The applicant must have sufficient funds to support the entire stay in the UK
- The applicant needs to provide the travel itinerary (Particularly for tourists)
Standard Visitor Visa includes:
- General visitor visa
- Family visitor visa
- Child visitor visa
- Business visitor visa
- Visa for prospective entrepreneurs
- Visa for entertainers
- ADS visa/ Approved Destination Status visa
- Visa for private medical treatment visitor
- Visa for sports visitor
- Marriage visitor visa
- Visa for short-term study
4 Types Of UK Student Visas
The following are the visas issued to international students who wish to pursue higher education or a doctoral degree in the United Kingdom.
- Student visa (General) – Tier 4
- The international student must be over 16 years of age
- The applicant must be accepted by one of the recognized colleges/universities in the UK for a specific course.
- The applicant must belong to a country outside the EEA and Switzerland
- The applicant must clear the English language eligibility test
- Sufficient funds to support the entire period of study and stay in the UK
- Student visa (Child) –Tier 4
- The student visa for children below the age of 16
- Doctoral Extension Scheme visa for international students – Tier 4
- The student must have a valid Tier 4 general student visa in the UK at the time of application
- Must be pursuing a doctoral degree in the UK
- Need to apply for this visa while in the UK
- Short-term study visa
- To pursue a short-term course in the UK
UK Family Visa
To live with a family member who is a resident/ citizen of the UK for above 6 months, the applicant will require a UK Family visa. You can apply for a family visa if you are:
- A child
- A spouse
- A fiancé
- A parent
The different types of UK visas for the family include:
- visa for spouse
- visa for children
- visa for parents
Other Visas To The UK
Other visas to the UK include the following:
- Right of Abode visa
- The Right of Abode visa is applicable for all British nationals living outside the UK.
- They can work/live in the UK and no restrictions are applicable
- They do not require a visa to visit the UK
- Visa for UK settlement
- This visa is applicable for an extended family member of an individual from Switzerland or the EEA.
- The Settlement visa acts as proof that allows the applicant to work in the UK
- A settlement visa is valid for a period of 5 years
- Residence permit
- You can apply for this visa if you belong to a country outside the EEA
- Or you are a family member of a person from the EEA who is a resident of the United Kingdom
- UK Ancestry visa
- To apply you need to be a citizen of one of the Commonwealth nations
- Proof supporting that one of the grandparents was born in the United Kingdom
- The application must be placed outside the UK
Transit Visas To The UK
An international traveler who does not belong to the EEA and Switzerland who are traveling to a different country through the UK requires a transit visa to do so. Let’s find more about types of UK visas that can be used for transit.
- DATV or Direct Airside Transit Visa
- For travelers who have to take another flight to a different destination without leaving the airport in the UK
- Visa for the visitor in transit
- For international travelers who have to leave the airport and depend on other means of travel to the next destination.
- The maximum validity of the visa is 4 days.
Types Of UK Visa For Temporary Refugees
- Temporary visas for refugees whose lives were threatened in their native country.
- The applicant should apply for the visa within the UK
- The visa is temporary in nature and they have to return to their native country once the issues have settled down.
- The visa is usually given for a period between 2-6 years. However, the visa may be extended taking into consideration the situations in their native land.
To get a visa you need to submit the visa application along with all the supporting documents and the required visa fees. Following the processing of the application, the visa will be granted if the immigration authorities from the United Kingdom are convinced that you are a genuine applicant.
- Immigration To The UK – It Is Time To Bust The Myths
- How To Migrate To The UK From The USA
- Life in the United Kingdom Test – 10 Sample UK Citizenship Questions And Answers
- How to Migrate to the UK
- UK Points Based Immigration System 2020 – Everything You Must Know