Any visitor who wants to travel to the Kingdom of Thailand for tourism will require a tourist visa to enter the country. Thailand tourist visa is granted for the purposes of leisure, sight-seeing and personal enlightenment. It does not permit a visitor to work or conduct business when in Thailand.
Generally, the tourist visa must be obtained from the Royal Thai Embassy before coming to Thailand. However, passport holders of a few specific nations can get a visa on arrival in the country. Also, nationals of certain countries do not require a visa if they meet the visa exemption requirements of Thailand.
Validity of Thailand Tourist Visa
The validity of Thailand tourist visa is of 3 months from the date of its issue. The period of stay allowed for a visitor with such a visa is maximum 60 days. It can be a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.
Eligibility Criteria for Thailand Tourist Visa
To be eligible for Thailand tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport with at least 2 unused pages for entry and exit visa stamps
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 6 months
- You must have a copy of the completed visa application form
- You must provide proof of flight bookings and travel itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in Thailand
- You must provide a copy of your confirmed onward or return ticket to your home country or next destination
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in Thailand and for your return transportation. Thailand requires visitors to have at least THB 20,000 (INR 37,851.20) per person for staying in Thailand
- You intend to leave Thailand at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Thailand Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Thailand tourist visa, check the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Obtain the visa application form from the Embassy of Thailand in your country of residence or you can download the Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your completed application form. You may also fill up the application form online and then take a print out of it.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Download and print out a check list of the documents that you will need to submit along with your application form. Gather and arrange all the documents in the checklist in specified sequence and keep them ready for submission. Remember to sign the documents wherever required.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the visa application by the Embassy of Thailand where you intend to submit your application.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Book an appointment for submission of your visa application at the Embassy of Thailand. Arrive at the appointed time and submit your completed visa application form, along with all the required documentation and your photographs.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
If your application and documents are in proper order, you will be directed to pay the applicable fee for your visa application. You will be issued an invoice cum receipt against your application and payment of fees, which you will need at the time of your passport collection.
In case your application is incomplete or not in order, you will be asked to complete the same and then schedule a fresh appointment to submit your application.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your application is processed and the visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the same. Collect your passport on time by showing the invoice cum receipt. In case you wish to receive your passport through courier, you will have to specify so during the time of submitting your application and include a self-addressed and stamped envelope.
If you want to designate a representative to collect your passport, then you must provide him or her written authorization letter signed by you and your invoice cum receipt. The representative will also have to bring along an original copy of his or her own photographic ID, such as a passport or driving license.
Required Fees for Thailand Tourist Visa
Fees for Thailand Tourist Visa – THB 1000 (INR 1,892.56)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The Thailand tourist visa application fee is subject to change without prior notice
Extension of Thailand Tourist Visa
In case you want to stay longer in Thailand than the duration granted in your visa, you will have to apply for an extension. A tourist is generally granted an extension of 30 days. You will have to apply for the visa extension at the nearest office of the Immigration Bureau. Remember that your stay cannot exceed the cumulative duration of 90 days from the date of your first entry in Thailand.
Note that the extension of visa is solely at the discretion of the immigration officer. You will have to pay an additional charge of THB 1900 (INR 3,595.86) as visa extension application fee.
Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption
Thailand exempts the citizens of several countries and territories from obtaining a tourist visa to visit the country. The citizens of such nations and territories can visit and stay in Thailand for up to 30 days without a visa, provided they have a valid passport and are in possession of confirmed return or onward tickets. The following is the list of the visa-exempted countries and territories for Thailand:
|Greece||Hong Kong SAR||Hungary|
|South Africa||South Korea**||Sweden|
|Switzerland||Turkey||United Arab Emirates|
|United Kingdom||United States of America||Vietnam|
|**Visitors who are passport holders of Brazil, the Republic of Korea and Peru are allowed to stay in Thailand without a tourist visa for a period of up to 90 days.|
Dos and Don’ts for Thailand Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Thailand tourist visa.
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 4 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details as incomplete applications are not accepted
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Embassy of Thailand
- Be ready to provide any additional document that may be required by the officials at the Embassy of Thailand.
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application
Other countries you can visit on the way to Thailand