If you have plans to visit Australia for the purpose of tourism or to visit your friends, family or relatives you need to apply for a visitor visa or an Australian tourist visa. It is valid for a period of twelve months and you can stay up to 3 months each time you enter this country. You are required to submit an application online along with the fees and documents that are necessary.
The documents include a valid bank statement, your passport, character and health records and enough proof to convince the authorities that you will not extend your stay in Australia beyond the time allowed. In this article, we discuss how to apply for an Australian Tourist Visa
Australia – An overview
Officially referred to as the Commonwealth of Australia, this country comprises of the continent of Australia, the Tasmanian Island and several other smaller islands. It is the sixth largest country in the world by total area and Canberra is its capital. This is one of the best countries to live in the world considering the quality of life, education, health and wealth that you get there.
Australia is also extraordinarily beautiful covered in mountains, rainforests, islands, and coastlines. This country is also known for its unique wildlife like the koala, kangaroo, platypus, wombats, emu, goanna and different species of snakes that are seen nowhere else in the world.
This land is also home to almost 700 species of birds. Australia is also known for its mixed culture and a wide range of cuisine. It’s no wonder that this nation happens to be one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.
The Electronic Travel Authority (ETA): What is it?
The ETA or the Electronic Travel Authority is one of the most advanced systems in the world that authorizes an Australian tourist visa. This Visa lets you stay in Australia for a period of 3 months each time you arrive and is valid for a period of twelve months from the date of granting the visa.
You are not required to submit an application form (except an online application) and the visa stamps are replaced by the ETA. This is an authorization to travel to Australia which is stored electronically and its free from paper documentation and a stamp in your passport.
What are the things allowed under the Australian tourist visa?
- The ETA visitor visa allows you to travel to Australia for business or for tourism.
- You can engage in a negotiation of a business or attend a conference as a business visitor.
- You can visit and stay with your friends and family or enjoy a holiday and engage in recreational activities as a tourist.
- You are not allowed to provide services to an organization, sell goods or work under this visa. A temporary work visa is required to do work for a short period of time in Australia.
- A Visitor visa that is valid up to a period of five years is granted to parents of Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents who wish to stay longer in Australia and they can stay up to 12 months at a time.
- Those people who wish to do an informal training or course for less than 3 months can do so using a visitor visa.
The documents required for getting an ETA Tourist Visa or Visitor Visa
- Duly filled and signed online visa application.
- Your original passport that has a validity of 6 months from the date that you intend to travel.
- A covering letter with the details of each applicant, the passport details of everyone, details of travel and how the expenses would be met. Make sure that you write this on your letterhead if you are self-employed.
- Proof of company registration if you are self-employed.
- 2 Photos which are 35x45mm in size, matt finish with white background and with 80% of the face size. Forehead, both eyes, and ears should be clearly visible, and your teeth should not be visible.
- Income Tax details for the last 3 years.
- A copy of your Aadhar card or Pan card.
- If you are employed, you must submit the salary slips for the last three months.
- Original letter for leave approval from the company which is written on the company letterhead.
- If you are a retired person you need to submit a proof of retirement.
- If you are a student, you are required to submit an NOC letter from your school or college and your ID card.
- Details of hotel bookings, air tickets, and travel itinerary.
- A no objection certificate that is notarized must be submitted by a parent who is non-accompanying, for children who are less than 18 years of age.
- If you are staying with your relatives or friends in Australia, they are required to write a letter of invitation providing the details of your stay with them.
- In the case where a child is traveling or staying with someone who is not a relative, the details of that person like full name, date of birth and nationality is to be provided along with a signed declaration of support by that person who is responsible for the child during his/ her stay in Australia.
Applying for an ETA Australian Tourist Visa: Things to keep in mind
- To apply for a visitor ETA, you must hold a passport issued by an ETA eligible country or region and you must be living outside Australia.
- Fill in the Online Application.
- Enter the passport details with the passport number and travel details of each person traveling.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Once the payment is accepted your application will be linked to your passport number.
- You are not allowed to do a course or undergo training for a period of more than 3 months.
- You are not allowed to work in Australia, but a limited amount of volunteer work is accepted.
- You must be free from tuberculosis while entering the country.
- Children who are 11 years and over are required to pass a chest x-ray examination if they intend to study in a classroom environment for a period of 4 weeks or more.
- You should have clean character records. You could be refused the entry into Australia in case you have faced criminal convictions.
- The ETA Visitor Visa holder must not exceed the stay in Australia beyond the time allowed.
- How to Apply for Australian Dependent Student Visa
- 8 Types of Australia Student Visa
- Australian Student Visa Application – The Procedure, Eligibility Criteria and Time Taken