Want to know the passport ranking for 2021. Here is a list of countries with the most powerful and weakest passports in the world.
One of the reasons people exchange their current citizenship for citizenship in another country or take on dual citizenship is for the ease of travel. Every country’s passport allows the passport holder to travel to certain countries without a visa or allows them to travel there are get a visa on arrival.
For example, Indians with valid passports can travel to Indonesia and get a visa on arrival. French and Spanish citizens can travel to any of the Schengen countries without visas.
This feature – the number of countries a passport holder can travel to without a visa is what determines the power of the passport. Read on to find out which passports are the most powerful in 2021.
Passport Rankings For 2021 – Ten Most Powerful Passports in 2021
Japan and Singapore share the top spot with passports that allow citizens of these countries to travel to 192 other countries without a preapproved visa.
Germany and South Korea rank second with visa-free travel to 190 countries while Finland, Italy, Spain and Luxemburg offer visa-free travel to 189 countries. Other EU countries take up the 4th and 5th spots.
At number 6 stands Belgium, New Zealand, and Switzerland with visa-free travel to 186 countries. The USA and the UK along with the Czech Republic, Greece, Malta, and Norway are ranked 7th and Australia and Canada are ranked 8th.
Hungary takes up the 9th spot in the passport rankings for2021while the last spot on the top ten list is shared by Lithuania, Poland, and Slovakia.
- Japan and Singapore (visa-free travel to192 countries)
- Germany and South Korea (visa-free travel to 190 countries)
- Finland, Italy, Spain and Luxembourg (visa-free travel to 189 countries)
- Austria and Denmark (visa-free travel to 188 countries)
- France, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal and Sweden (visa-free travel to 187 countries)
- Belgium, New Zealand and Switzerland (visa-free travel to 186 countries)
- Czech Republic, Greece, Malta, Norway, United Kingdom and United States (visa-free travel to 185 countries)
- Australia and Canada (visa-free travel to 184 countries)
- Hungary (visa-free travel to 183 countries)
- Lithuania, Poland and Slovakia (visa-free travel to 182 countries)
Passport Rankings For 2021 – Weakest Passports in 2021
Of the 116 countries on the passport rankings for2021list, Afghanistan has the weakest passport. Though the current government turmoil in the country has paused international travel in and out of the country, the Afghanistan passport technically allows visa-free travel to 26 other countries.
This may change as and when flights begin operating. The Iraqi passport allows its citizens to travel to 28 countries while Syrians with a valid passport can travel to 29 countries without prior visa approval.
Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia offer visa-free travel to 31, 33 and 34 countries respectively. Nepali and Palestinian passport holders can travel to 37 countries while the North Korean passport is just a shade more powerful as it allows visa-free travel to 39 countries.
- 1. Iran, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Sudan (Score:41)
- 2. Bangladesh, Kosovo, Libya (Score: 40)
- North Korea (visa-free travel to 39 countries)
- Nepal and Palestinian territories (visa-free travel to 37 countries)
- Somalia (visa-free travel to 34 countries)
- Yemen (visa-free travel to 33 countries)
- Pakistan (visa-free travel to 31 countries)
- Syria (visa-free travel to 29 countries)
- Iraq (visa-free travel to 28 countries)
- Afghanistan (visa-free travel to 26 countries)
The Power of the Indian Passport
According to the Henley & Partners Passport ranking for 2021, India ranks 90th with visa-free travel to 58 nations.
This includes 11 countries in Asia and the Caribbean each, 2 countries in the Americas and in Europe, 7 countries in Oceania, 3 countries in the middle east and 20 African countries.
International flights have started operating in India but given the ongoing COVID restrictions in many countries, even though you may not need a visa, you may need other certifications before traveling abroad.
Passport Rankings For 2021 – Full List Of Countries
|16||United Arab Emirates||173|
|Hong Kong (SAR China)|
|25||St. Kitts and Nevis||156|
|28.||Antigua and Barbuda||151|
|Trinidad and Tobago|
|30.||St. Vincent and the Grenadines||148|
|Macao (SAR China)|
|49||Bosnia and Herzegovina||117|
|63||Papua New Guinea||84|
|77||Cape Verde Islands||66|
|82||Sao Tome and Principe||61|
|91||The central African Republic||52|
|100||Congo (Democratic Republic)||42|
- How Has COVID-19 Affected The Indian Passport Ranking 2020?
- Who Has The 10 Powerful Passports In The World?
- Why Some of the World’s Richest Nations have the Weakest Passports?
- Know About 50 Most Powerful Passports in the World In 2015