A visitor who wants to visit the Republic of Korea or South Korea as a tourist needs to obtain a tourist visa. The tourist visa allows a visitor to enter South Korea for the purpose of sightseeing, visiting friends and relatives, or attending conferences, cultural events, artistic events or religious ceremony. This visa does not permit a visitor to seek employment in South Korea. It is a single entry visa that is valid for 3 months from the date of its issue.
The tourist visa must be obtained before coming to South Korea. However, passport holders of a few specific nations can get a visa on arrival in the country.
Eligibility Criteria for South Korea Tourist Visa
To be eligible for South Korea tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport with at least two unused pages for visa stamp
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 6 months
- You must have a copy of the completed application form
- You must provide proof of confirmed hotel reservation, flight bookings and travel itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in South Korea
- You must provide a copy of your onward or return ticket to your home country or next destination
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in South Korea and for your return transportation.
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from your bank for the previous 6 months
- You must provide proof of employment and a copy of your income tax return (ITR)
- You intend to leave South Korea at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for South Korea Tourist Visa
Before you apply for South Korea tourist visa, check the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Obtain the visa application form from the Embassy of South Korea in your country of residence or you can download the visa application form from the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Make sure that your application is complete in all respects as incomplete applications are not accepted.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your visa application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the visa application by the Embassy of South Korea located in your country of residence.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form at the Embassy of South Korea nearest to you, along with all the required documentation.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. Collect your visa on time.
Required Fees for South Korea Tourist Visa
Fees for South Korea tourist visa for single entry (up to 90 days) – USD 30 (INR 1,921.38)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Renewal of South Korea Tourist Visa
Extension for South Korea tourist visa is possible in special cases such as accidents, health problems, flight cancellation, etc. Application for visa extension must be made at a local immigration office in South Korea at least one day before the day of expiration.
South Korea Tourist Visa Exemption
South Korea exempts the citizens of several countries and territories from obtaining a tourist visa to visit the country. The citizens of such nations and territories can visit and stay in South Korea for a period of 30 to 180 days without a visa. The following is the list of the visa-exempted countries and territories for South Korea:
|Albania||Andorra||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Belgium||Bosnia and Herzegovina||Brazil|
|Mauritius||Mexico||F. S. Micronesia|
|Russia||Saint Kitts and Nevis||Saint Lucia|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Samoa||San Marino|
|Solomon Islands||South Africa||Spain|
|Tonga||Trinidad and Tobago||Tunisia|
|Turkey||Tuvalu||United Arab Emirates|
|United Kingdom||United States||Uruguay|
Dos and Don’ts for South Korea Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for South Korea tourist visa.
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 4 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Embassy of South Korea
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application