A visitor who wants to enter Spain as a tourist requires a short term visa. This short term visa is also known as Schengen (tourist) visa. It is issued to a visitor who wants to visit Spain for the purpose of sightseeing or pleasure trips.
The Schengen visa is valid for all the European states that are part of the Schengen agreement, including Spain. With the Schengen visa a tourist can travel and stay not only in Spain, but in all the 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement.
This visa is issued for a maximum duration of 90 days per six-month period.
Countries that are part of the Schengen agreement are:
Eligibility criteria for Spain Tourist Visa
To be eligible for Spain tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages and it must have been issued within the previous 10 years
- You must have a copy of your completed application form
- You must provide proof of hotel bookings, flight bookings and travel itineraryfor the entire duration of your stay in Spain
- You must provide a copy of your round-trip or tour ticket
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in Spain and for your return transportation
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from your bank for the last 3 months and the document must have original stamp and signature of authorized signatory of the bank
- You must show proof of having valid travel insurance witha minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 (INR 2,207,187.00) for emergency medical treatment
Steps to follow to apply for Spain Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Spain tourist visa, read the Spain Visa Checklist and the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Your first step is to obtain the tourist visa application form for Spain. You can obtain it either from Spain’s Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in your country or you can download the Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your visa application form. Remember that the application fee and mode of payment varies according to the country from which you are applying.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form in person at the Spanish Consulate nearest to you, along with all the required documentation.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. You must collect the visa personally at the relevant Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post. It is also possible to send a duly authorized representative to collect the visa on your behalf. Make sure that you collect the visa within a month of being notified about its issuance.
Required Fees for Spain Tourist Visa
Fees for Spain tourist visa – EUR 60 (INR 4,414.37)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The visa fee is exempted for children under 6 years of age
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Renewal of Spain Tourist Visa
You can extend your short term visa when the stay authorized is shorter than 90 days. You must contact the corresponding Foreigners Offices and Police Stations to carry out the formalities.
Dos and Don’ts of Spain tourist visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Spain tourist visa.
- You can either fill in the application with pen or get it printed online
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 4 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Spanish Consulate
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application
- How to Apply for Spain Student Visa
- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Schengen Visa
- Setting Up A Business In Spain – You’ll Need A Spanish Entrepreneur Visa