Any foreign student who wants to stay and study in Spain for a period of more than 90 days will have to obtain a long term Student Visa. This visa is granted to those students who have already been accepted for admission by a recognized educational institute in Spain.
The student visa is applicable for studying, carrying out research, participating in student exchanges, training or attending unpaid internship activities, or performing volunteer services. However, citizens of some selected countries are exempted from the visa requirement provided that the duration of their stay in Spain is not more than three months.
Foreign students who want to study in Spain must apply for and obtain the student visa before they arrive in Spain. After they arrive in Spain, foreign students are required to apply at the Foreign Office or Police Station for an authorization to stay in the country during the specified period.
Eligibility Criteria For Spain Student Visa
To be eligible for Spain Student Visa you must fulfil the following conditions:
- You must provide proof of being enrolled as a full time student in one of Spain’s educational institutes that is recognized by Spain’s Department of Education
- You must provide proof of full payment of tuition fee for the course
- You must have a passport with a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages and it must have been issued within the previous 10 years
- You must have a copy of your completed application form
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during the course of your study in Spain and for your return transportation
- You must provide personal bank account statements
- You must have acceptable insurance for health and accident covering the total number of days you will be staying in Spain as a student
- You must not have a criminal record
- You must provide a Medical Certificate indicating that you are in good physical and mental health and are free from any kind of contagious diseases
- You intend to leave Spain at the end of your authorized stay
Steps To Follow To Apply For Spain Student Visa
Before you apply for Spain student visa, find out about the required documents and the processing time needed for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Your first step is to obtain the student visa application form for Spain. You can obtain it either from Spain’s Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in your country or you can download the National Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your visa application form. Remember that the application fee and mode of payment varies according to the country from which you are applying.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Fix an appointment at the application centre to submit your application. Submit your completed visa application form in person at the Spanish Consulate nearest to you, along with all the required documentation.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Track your visa application
After you submit your application, you can track your visa application online.
Step 9: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. You must collect the visa personally at the relevant Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post. It is also possible to send a duly authorized representative to collect the visa on your behalf. Make sure that you collect the visa within a month of being notified about its issuance.
Duration of Spain Student Visa
Generally, student visa in Spain is granted for the entire duration of the course of study.
Required Fees for Spain Student Visa
- Fees for Spain Student Visa – EUR 160 (INR 12,428.88)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a student visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Renewal of Spain student Visa
You can renew your student visa to further extend your studies or take up a new course of study in Spain.
Exemption of Spain Student Visa
Citizens of some specified countries are exempted from having a student visa if they intend to stay in Spain for no more than 90 days. A list of such countries is provided below:
|Israel||Japan||Korea (Rep. of)|
|Monaco||Netherlands Antilles||New Zealand|
Note that citizens from EU countries do not require a student visa regardless of the length of their stay in Spain. Citizens of all other countries require a student visa if they plan to stay and study for more than 90 days in Spain.
Dos and Don’ts of Spain Student Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Spain student visa.
- Apply for a student visa at least 12 weeks in advance of your planned travel date to allow enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time for you to join your course
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Spanish Consulate
- Do not attempt to submit your student visa application more than four months in advance or less than 7 weeks before the departure date, else the application will not be accepted
- Do not present false documents for your student Visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application