A visitor who wants to visit Sweden as a tourist needs to have a short term visa. The short term visa is a permit to enter Sweden for a short period of time. It is meant for those visitors who wish to visit Sweden for the purpose of tourism, visiting friends and relatives, business meet or participating in a conference.
This visa is also known as Schengen (tourist) visa. Since Sweden is a member of the Schengen Agreement, it follows the common visa rules applicable to all Schengen countries.
In other words, the Schengen visa is valid for all the European states that are part of the Schengen agreement, including Sweden. This means that a visitor who is issued the Schengen visa can travel and stay not only in Sweden, but in all the 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement.
The Schengen visa is issued for a maximum duration of 90 days per six-month period.
Read: Types Of Sweden Visa – Which One Do You Need?
Countries that are part of the Schengen agreement are:
Eligibility criteria for Sweden tourist visa
To be eligible for Sweden tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- You must provide proof of confirmed hotel reservation, flight bookings and travel itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in Sweden
- You must provide a copy of your round-trip or tour ticket
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in Sweden and for your return transportation. Sweden requires visitors to have SEK 450 (INR 3,588.68) per day for staying in Sweden
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from your bank for the previous 6 months
- You must show proof of having individual medical travel insurance that is valid in all the Schengen countries and it must have a minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 (INR 2,278,113.00). It must cover costs for your emergency medical treatment or urgent hospitalisation or transportation back to your home country if required and must cover the entire duration of your stay in Sweden
- You intend to leave Sweden at the end of your authorized stay
Read: 5 Ways To Get Swedish Citizenship
Steps to follow to apply for Sweden tourist visa
Before you apply for Sweden tourist visa, go through the Sweden Tourist Visa Checklist and the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Obtain the visa application form from the Embassy of Sweden in your country or you can download the Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your visa application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the visa application by the Embassy of Sweden located in your home country.
Generally, visa application fees are accepted in the form of Bank Draft drawn in favour of the “Embassy of Sweden (Visa)”.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form in person or through accredited travel agents at the Embassy of Sweden nearest to you, along with all the required documentation.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. Collect your visa on time
Read: Applying for a Sweden Student Visa in 5 Steps
Required fees for Sweden tourist visa
- Fees for Sweden Tourist Visa for Visitors above 13 years of age – EUR 60 (INR 4,556.23)
- Fees for Sweden Tourist Visa for Children between 6 to 12 years of age – EUR 35 (INR 2,657.80)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The visa fee is exempted for children under 6 years of age
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Renewal of Sweden tourist visa
In case you want to stay longer in Sweden than the duration granted in your visa, you will have to apply for an extension. If you are refused an extension as you have already been issued a stay of 90 days in Sweden, you can apply for a residence permit. This rule also applies to all the visa-free visitors who want to stay in Sweden for more than 90 days.
However, you will be granted an extension of your visa under certain circumstances like force majeure, humanitarian reasons and compelling personal reasons (health issues or business visit).
Note that an application for visa extension is free of charge in case of force majeure and humanitarian reasons. However, a charge of EUR 30 (INR 2,278.11) is applicable in case of visa extension due to compelling personal reasons.
Note before applying for Schengen Visa
Check your travel plans before making your visa application to the Embassy of Sweden. If you plan to travel to multiple Schengen countries, you must apply for visa to the embassy or the consulate where you will be staying for the maximum number of days, or from the point of first entry into the Schengen countries, if the duration of stay is the same in more than one Schengen country.
Dos and don’ts of Sweden tourist visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Sweden Tourist Visa.
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 3 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Embassy of Sweden
- Do not present false documents for your tourist Visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application