- All immigrants must pass an English test and a civics test to become US citizens
- Immigrants have two attempts to pass the exams
- Civics test questions are categorized as history questions and questions about the government
If you want to become a US citizen, you must pass a US citizenship test (naturalization test) which consists of an English exam and the civics exam. The English exam consists of a reading, writing and speaking section. The civics test has ten questions of which at least 6 must be answered correctly. Read on to see if you can pass this test.
For immigrants moving to the USA, citizenship is often the ultimate aim. To be naturalized, an immigrant must pass a US citizenship test. This consists of an English test and a civics test that covers historical facts about America and current affairs with respect to the American government. As of December 2017, 91% of the applicants who gave the test cleared it.
Who is Eligible for the US Citizenship Test?
To be eligible for citizenship, an immigrant must have a valid green card. He or she must also have stayed in America for at least 5 years.
English Test for Naturalization
The English test has three parts – a reading, a speaking, and writing test. A reading and writing vocabulary is available online. To pass the test, the applicant must be able to read at least one out of three sentences clearly and write at least one out of three sentences. Passing the speaking test is dependent on how the applicant converses with a USCIS official during the interview.
Civics Test for Naturalization
The civics test covers 10 questions of which the applicants must get at least 6 answers correct. The good news is that the civics test questions are taken from a set of 100 pre-decided questions. These questions can be categorized under the following headings:
- System of Government
- Principles of American Democracy
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Colonial Period and Independence
- America in the 1800s
- Recent American History
- Common Symbols in America
- American holidays
A Sample Civics US Citizenship Test
Each applicant has two attempts to clear this exam. Do you think you’d clear the exam on the first attempt? Here’s a sample of the questions you may be asked.
Q.1 Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
- The Prime Minister
- The President
- The Speaker of the house
- The Chief Justice
Correct answer: The President
Q.2 How many justices are on the Supreme Court?
Correct answer: 9
Q.3 What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
- The United Nations and the Flag
- The President and the Oval Office
- Freedom and Liberty
- The US Military
Correct answer: The United Nations and the Flag
Q.4 What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?
Correct answer: Africans
Q.5 Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
- James Madison
- John Jay
- Thomas Jefferson
- Alexander Hamilton
Correct answer: Thomas Jefferson
Q.6 What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
Correct answer: Louisiana
Q.7 What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
- Atlantic Ocean
- Pacific Ocean
- American Ocean
- Indian Ocean
Correct answer: Atlantic Ocean
Q.8 What is the capital of the United States?
- New York
- Washington DC
Correct answer: Washington DC
Q.9 When do we celebrate Independence Day?
- January 15th
- April 9th
- July 4th
- November 10th
Correct answer: July 4th
Q.10 Before he was President, Eisenhower was a general. What war was he in?
- World War I
- World War II
- The war between Africa and America
- Cold War
Correct answer: World War II
- The Australian Citizenship Test – What to Expect
- Canadian Citizenship Test – 10 Sample Questions And Answers
- Life in the United Kingdom Test – 10 Sample Questions And Answers
- USA Immigration and the American Dream – Believers and the Non-Believers
- How to Migrate to the USA from the UK
- How to Migrate to Italy – All You Need to Know
- How to Migrate to the UK
- Virtual Citizenship- Knitting Commercial Expansions, Dismantling Physical Boundaries
- US Immigration Through Investment – Can Investment Helps Get A Green Card?
- New USCIS Immigration Policy to Come into Effect on October 1st
- Migrate to America: The 5 Immigrant Visa Categories