Any foreign student who intends to study in China will have to obtain China student visa. This visa is granted to those students who have already been accepted for admission by a recognized educational institute in China.
Foreign students who want to study in China must apply for and obtain the student visa before they arrive in China.
China student visa is also known as X visa. The student visa is applicable for studying, carrying out advanced studies or participating in fieldwork in China.
Read: The 9 Best Countries To Study In Asia
Types of China Student Visa
There are two types of China student visas – X1 visa and X2 visa.
Chinese Student (X1) Visa: This is a long term student visa that is issued to applicants who want to stay and study in China for a period of more than 6 months (180 days). X1 visa is normally issued for multiple entries with validity of up to 5 years.
X1 visa holders must register at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 30 days of arrival in China and apply for a Temporary China Residence Permit from the local PSB.
Chinese Student (X2) Visa: This is a short term student visa that is issued to applicants who want to stay and study in China for a period of less than 6 months (180 days). X2 visa is normally issued for single entry with validity of up to 6 months.
X2 visa holders do not need to apply for Temporary China Residence Permit.
Eligibility Criteria for China Student Visa
In order to be eligible for China student visa you must fulfil the following conditions:
- You must provide proof of being enrolled as a student in one of China’s educational institutes that is accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners
- You must provide the original copy and a photocopy of admission letter from a university or Chinese school
- In case you are applying for Chinese Medical Internship, you must provide the original copy and a photocopy of Application Form for Medical Internship and Admission Notice for training in practice issued by the university
- You must have a valid passport
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 6 months
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages
- You must have a copy of your completed application form with a recent passport photograph attached to it
- You must have the original copy and a photocopy of approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form JW201 or JW202 (for X1 visa applicants only). The form must have been filled by your university in China and stamped and signed by the university chancellor.
- You must have proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to those applicants who are not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)
- You must provide a Physical Examination Certificate for Foreign Citizen (Health Certificate) if you intend to study in China for more than one year. Your health certificate must indicate that you are in good physical and mental health and are free from any kind of contagious diseases
- You must show your intention to leave China at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for China Student Visa
Before you apply for China student visa, read about the required documents and the processing time needed for the visa to be issued. In most cases the processing time required is 4 working days.
Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download visa application form
You can download the Visa Application Form V.2013 from the internet.
Step 2: Fill out the visa application form
Fill the visa application form carefully and accurately on your computer. Take a print out of the filled-in application form and sign it. Remember that a print out of the application form is essential as hand written forms are not acceptable.
Note that change or correction is not allowed on the printed form. So, before you take a print out of the filled-in application form look carefully to eliminate any errors.
Step 3: Gather your documents
Make a check list and gather all the documents required for submission with your visa application. Get all the required documents, photocopies of all the documents and the visa application fee ready before you proceed further.
Step 4: Keep your JW201 or JW202 form ready
Keep the original JW201 or JW202 form and its photocopy ready for submission. Note that the JW201 or JW202 form must be issued by the Ministry of Education, Gov. of China. Every form has a unique code that is issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education (MOE), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), the Ministry of Public Security (MOP) and local governments.
As such, it must not be downloaded by you from the internet but must have been sent to you by the concerned Chinese authorities.
Step 5: Provide your photograph
Provide a recent colour passport type photograph for your visa application form. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs.
In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit one copy of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 6: Submit the visa application form
Submit your visa application form at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate or at the Chinese diplomatic mission in your home country.
You can submit your application in person. In case you cannot come personally for the submission, you can send it through a travel agency or a visa agency for submission on your behalf. Remember that applications sent by post are not accepted by most of the Chinese Embassies or Consulates.
Step 7: Pay the visa application fee
Normally you have to pay the visa application fee when you go to collect your passport. However, in case of some countries it must be paid when you apply for the visa.
Check with the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your home country to know when you must pay the visa application fee.
Required Fees for China Student Visa
The student visa application fee varies according to your nationality, the number of entries required, the country you are applying in, and whether you want an express service.
Fees for China student visa Single Entry (for Indians) – INR 2000.00
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a student visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Dos and Don’ts of China Student Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for China student visa.
- You must fill in the application form and then get it printed after filling it up
- Apply for a student visa at least a few weeks in advance of your planned travel date to allow enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time for you to join your course
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate
- Provide any other document that may be demanded by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate to issue you a student visa
- Do not attempt to submit your student visa application form by sending it through post as it will not be accepted
- Do not present false documents for your student visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your visa application
- China Immigration – Eligibility, Job Opportunities and How to Apply
- How to Apply for China Tourist Visa