China tourist visa is meant for those people who intend to visit China for the purpose of tourism and sightseeing. It is also issued to people who want to visit friends or relatives in China. The tourist visa is generally issued for a period of 30 days only. It is usually valid for single entry.
China tourist visa is also known as China travel visa or L visa. It allows a visitor to travel freely in most parts of China as tourist.
Eligibility Criteria for China Tourist Visa
In order to be eligible for China tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 6 months
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages
- You must have a copy of your completed application form
- You must have proof of legal stay or residence status (applicable to those visitors who are not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)
- You must provide proof of hotel bookings, flight bookings (including round-trip) and a detailed itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in China, Or,
- You must show an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China, with the following information:
- Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)
- Information on the planned visit (arrival and departure dates, place(s) of visit, etc.)
- Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative of the entity or the inviting individual)
- In case you are travelling to China to visit friends and relatives, you must provide proof of having a genuine ongoing relationship with the person inviting you to China
- You must provide certification letter from your employer having details like name and contact number of your employer or the company for which you work and your income statement, or original copy of recent 6-month statement of your financial situation from your bank
- In case this is not the first time you are applying for a Chinese tourist visa, you must provide a personal statement giving the following information – reasons for revisit, the places you plan to visit this time and the places that you have visited before.
- You must show your intention to leave China at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to Follow to Apply for China Tourist Visa
Before you apply for China tourist visa, read the Instructions for Chinese Visa Application and know about the processing time required for the visa to be issued. You have to apply at a Chinese Embassy or Consulate or a Chinese diplomatic mission for the visa.
Once you are aware of all the details regarding the visa, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download visa application form
You can download the Visa Application Form V.2013 from the internet.
Step 2: Fill out the visa application form
Fill the visa application form carefully and accurately on your computer. Take a print out of the filled-in application form and sign it. Remember that a print out of the application form is essential as hand written forms are not acceptable. Note that change or correction is not allowed on the printed form. So, before you take a print out of the filled-in application form look carefully to eliminate any errors.
Step 3: Gather your documents
Make a check list and gather all the documents required for submission with your visa application. Get all the required documents, photocopies of all the documents and the visa application fee ready before you proceed further.
Step 4: Provide your photograph
Provide a recent colour passport type photograph for your visa application form. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old.
You will need to submit one copy of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Submit the visa application form
Submit your visa application form at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate or at the Chinese diplomatic mission in your home country.
You can submit your application in person. In case you cannot come personally for the submission, you can send it through a travel agency or a visa agency for submission on your behalf. Remember that applications sent by post are not accepted by most of the Chinese Embassies or Consulates.
Step 6: Pay the visa application fee
Normally you have to pay the visa application fee when you go to collect your passport. However, in case of some countries it must be paid when you apply for the visa. Check with the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your home country to know when you must pay the visa application fee.
Required Fees for China Tourist Visa
The visa application fee varies enormously according to your nationality, the number of entries required, the country you are applying in, and whether you want an express service.
Fees for China tourist visa Single Entry (for Indians) – INR 3900.00
- The total amount of the fees = Visa fees + Application service fees
- Your application service fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Nationals of the following countries are exempted from paying the visa application fee:
However, such applicants will have to pay for the express service, rush service or mail service for visa, if they opt for such services.
Extension of China Tourist Visa
Generally China tourist visa can be extended if you want to extend your stay in China. The visa can be extended for a period of 30 days. You will have to apply for the visa extension and submit the following documents along with the fee necessary for the visa extension –
- Passport with valid China tourist visa
- The original Beijing Registration Form of Temporary Residency
- Two copies of passport photographs
- Hotel reservation, itinerary and airline tickets
Dos and Don’ts of China Tourist Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for China Tourist Visa.
- You must fill in the application form and then get it printed after filling it up
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 3 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate
- Provide any other document that may be demanded by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate to issue you a tourist visa
- Do not attempt to submit your tourist visa application form by sending it through post as it will not be accepted
- Do not present false documents for your tourist visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your visa application
- How to Apply for China Student Visa
- China Immigration – Eligibility, Job Opportunities and How to Apply