Following the Brexit, the UK has introduced a new points-based immigration system. The new UK Point based immigration system 2020 will come to effect beginning from the 1st of January 2021. The new system aims to treat migrants from the EU (European Union) the same as anyone from the rest of the nations.
UK Points Based Immigration System – Overview
The proposals were introduced based on the recommendations set forth by the expert advisers from MAC (Migration Advisory Committee). One of the main reasons behind the UK exiting from the EU was to regain complete control over its immigration system.
The new system for immigration aims to choose the best of the category from among those who wish to migrate to the UK for work. Immigrant workers will be granted residency only if they have a job offer from a UK based employer, their salary is over 20,480 Pounds and they can speak English.
The new system will assign certain scores to an applicant based on various factors including level of education, skills in the English language, and the salary offered by the employer. An applicant can migrate to this country if they have the required total score.
UK Points Based Immigration System 2020 – The Aim Behind The New Rule
- The new system is based on the points-based immigration system in Australia.
- To employ highly skilled workers
- To create high salary/wages
- To make the country an economy with a high level of productivity
The immigration system in the UK has always been failing to meet the requirements of the British when they were part of the EU. The countries belonging to the EU have rights for free movement in the European nations including the UK.
Now that they have exited from the EU and the new immigration system has been proposed major changes are expected.
The Working Of UK Points Based Immigration System 2020
|Job offer in the UK/ A Sponsor in the UK (Mandatory)||20|
|The required level of skill (Mandatory)||20|
|Skills in the English Language (Mandatory)||10|
|Salary scale between 20,480 Pounds (Minimum requirement) and 23, 039 Pounds||0|
|Salary scale between 23,040 Pounds and 25, 599 Pounds||10|
|Salary Scale above 25,600||20|
|The Applicant has a PhD Degree (Doctoral Degree)||10|
|The PhD degree of the applicant is in Engineering, Science, Math, or Technology||20|
Certain Exemptions Under The New Immigration System
- A foreigner can move to the UK if their job (Falls under the minimum salary scale- 20,480 Pounds- 23,039 pounds) is on the list of the shortage occupation
- This means Nurses could still qualify for an immigrant visa to the UK despite earning a low salary. There is a good shortage of nursing staff in this country.
- The visa applicant has a doctoral degree (PhD)
- If they have the support of a relevant body, highly skilled workers can move to the UK. They can do so even if they do not have a job or a job offer in the UK.
Low Skilled Immigrant Workers Will No Longer Be Granted General/Temporary Work Visa
- The new system for immigration will no longer grant temporary/general work visas to low-skilled migrant workers
- This is to stop businesses/organizations operating in the UK from relying only on cheap labor from other nations to fill the vacancies for jobs in this country
How Does The New System For Immigration Affect Different Categories Of Migrants/Travelers To The UK?
It is estimated that around 70% of the EU workforce that arrives in the UK after the transitional period of Brexit wouldn’t qualify. Most of these workers wouldn’t be able to satisfy the requirements that come under the new system of immigration
However, the new system has stated that the positions offered to the immigrant workers in the agricultural sector will be increased to 10,000 positions (from 2,500 positions). The Youth Mobility Agreements with the eight nations in the Tier 5 category will continue. This category accounts for almost 20,000 youth arriving in this country every year
Special Occupation Under The New UK Points Based Immigration System 2020
The rules and regulations for visa and immigration for special occupations like religious ministers/leaders, artists, musicians, entertainers won’t be affected to a large extent. However, beginning from the 1st of January 2021 these rules will apply to the EU citizens as well.
EU Travelers And Student Visa
Tourists and visitors from the EU and its member states can travel to the UK without a visa for a maximum of 6 months. The new rules prohibit them from working in the UK during this period
Applicants for a student visa under Tier 4 have to prove that they have sufficient funds and means to support themselves in this country. It is mandatory that they can speak English and have secured a seat in one of the valid educational institutions in this nation.
Freelancers and self-employed people can continue to apply for a visa to the UK without sponsorship. The changes under the new immigration system do not apply to this category of workers.
The asylum cases will continue to be processed based on the existing rules and regulations. The new rules do not apply to this category.
- The new system once introduced is expected to release the full potential in this nation
- Most of the businesses will have to employ workers from the UK instead of hiring cheap labor from the other nations
- The tier 2 visa system of the UK had largely excluded the RQF (Regulated Qualifications Framework) level 3 jobs. The new system for immigration has re-introduced it
- This means it will be much easier to employ foreigners who have skills at the ‘medium level’.
- The new system for immigration is likely to stop workers who are ‘low skilled’ to come into this country for work.
- It won’t be easy to replace all the workers from the EEA and EU who have been working in this country along with the citizens in the UK.
- Once this new system has been enforced the UK is likely to face a serious shortage of skilled employees.
- Major shortage of skills, especially in the health care, hospitality and constructions sectors, can be expected
However, whether this UK Points Based Immigration System 2020 will make things easier or more difficult for migrants will be known only after this new rule come in to force. The migrants must have a total score of 70 to migrate to this nation.
- Different Types Of UK Visas – A Complete Guide
- New Visa Rules In The UK: IELTS And TOEFL No Longer Necessary For Health Care Professionals
- Immigration To The UK – It Is Time To Bust The Myths
- How To Migrate To The UK From The USA
- Life in the United Kingdom Test – 10 Sample UK Citizenship Questions And Answers