How to apply for the UK Start Up visa? Who is eligible for a start up visa in the UK? What are the documents needed? Read on to find answers to all your questions.
Like other countries, the UK too realizes the value of contributions that could be made by international entrepreneurs. Citizens of EU nations, Ireland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein don’t need a visa to set up a business of work in the UK. For entrepreneurs from other parts of the world, there’s the UK Start Up Visa program to explore.
The UK Start Up visa allows visa holders to live in the country for up to 2 years. This visa cannot be extended but after a business is set up, the visa can be switched out to an Innovator visa if certain additional conditions are met.
The UK Start Up Visa – Eligibility
Individuals wanting to apply for this visa must meet the below criteria:
- Minimum age: 18 years
- He/ she must pass a Secure English Language Test (SELT)
Hold a degree in any subject taught in English
- He/ she must prove sufficient funds to support oneself. You must have a minimum of £1270 in your account for at least 28 days before submitting your visa application
- He/ she must be endorsed by a business organization known for supporting UK entrepreneurs such as VC firms, incubators or accelerators
A higher educational institute in the UK
- He/ she must have a new business idea
- The idea must be innovative
- The idea must have the potential for growth
Citizens Of The Following Countries Are Exempted From Proving Their Knowledge Of English:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- New Zealand
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
Documents Required For The UK Start Up Visa
Before applying for a UK Start Up visa, you must have the following documents scanned.
- Copy of the first and last page of your valid passport
- Blank page in your passport
- Copy of document proving identity
- Proof of having met the English language requirement
- Bank statement proving that you have the minimum amount required to sustain yourself
- Health certificate
- Endorsement letter
- Character certificate from the local police
If any of the documents are not in English or Welsh, certified translations will also need to be included.
Applying for A Start Up Visa In UK
The UK start up visa must be applied for online.
Along with completing the form, you will also need to prove your identity. This may be done in either way:
- Submit photograph and fingerprints at the visa application centre
- Scan the identity document with the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app
Once the application has been submitted with supporting documents and biometrics, you should get a decision within 3 weeks.
The visa allows the applicant to bring his/ her spouse and children to the UK but they must apply for visas separately as dependents.
Visa For Dependents
To apply for a dependent start up visa as a spouse you must prove that you have been married/ are in a civil partnership recognized in the UK or have been in a relationship and lived together for at least 2 years prior to submitting an application.
Children under the age of 18 years may apply as dependents. Unmarried children above the age of 18 years may be considered dependents if they are financially supported by the main applicant.
In addition to the £1270 you need to hold in your bank account, you will also need to prove that you can sustain your dependents. The additional funds required to apply for dependent visas are:
- For spouse: £285
- For 1 child: £315
- For every additional child: £200
For example, to apply for the UK Start Up visa for yourself and your spouse, your bank account must have a minimum of £1,555 (£1270 + £285).
- The UK Graduate Visa Route – Everything You Must Know
- How To Apply For A UK Spouse Visa
- Different Types Of UK Visas – A Complete Guide
- Immigration To The UK – It Is Time To Bust The Myths