One of the worst nightmares of any traveler is losing her/his passport during an overseas trip. Maybe your passport was stolen or you lost/misplaced it somewhere along your journey or your passport got damaged/destroyed in an accident/natural calamity and you need to head back to your home country in a few days. What a terrifying situation this would be!
So, what can you do if you find yourself in such a situation? There is no reason to panic. You can apply for a temporary passport that will help you get back to your homeland.
Read: 158 Countries Where the US Citizens Can Travel Without a Visa
Temporary USA Passport – Criteria For Eligibility
A temporary passport is issued by the USA during one of the following situations.
- Your passport is damaged, lost, or stolen while you are in a foreign country
- You are in a foreign country and your passport has expired
- You have to travel to another country in an emergency and you have no time to renew your passport. (To visit a sick family member or to attend the funeral of your family member.)
There are two ways by which you can apply for a temporary passport.
- Applying for a temporary US Passport abroad
- Applying For A Temporary Passport In The USA
Applying For A Temporary US Passport Abroad: Documents Required
A US citizen who has lost her/his passport while in another country needs to approach the US Embassy or the US Consulate within that country. You need to carry the following documents while going to the Embassy or the Consulate
- Proof of identity that has your photograph. (Drivers license)
- Evidence to prove that you are a US citizen. (Photocopy of your passport or your birth certificate)
- Copy of the Police report (In case you have it)
- Passport-sized photograph
- Your itinerary and/or airline tickets, train tickets
The US consular staff will do all they can to help you get a temporary passport even if you’ve failed to produce all the above-mentioned documents. An emergency passport (with limited validity) will be issued if the authorities are convinced you need to travel soon.
In the event where you are unable to produce identity proof or proof of your US Citizenship, the consulate authorities can issue an emergency temporary passport to the USA with federal regulations. The lack of documents will be mentioned in your temporary passport. You have to submit all the missing documents when you have to replace this temporary emergency passport with a permanent one.
Applying For A Temporary Passport In The USA – Documents Required
The US State Department is responsible for issuing a temporary passport or an emergency passport for its citizens when their passport has expired or got destroyed/stolen. You can choose to approach an authorized Passport Agency that can help you get a temporary passport within the time of your departure (Even if you are traveling within 24 hours).
Given below are some of the major documents required to get a temporary passport.
- Proof of your US Citizenship (Birth Certificate/Copy of your passport)
- A valid proof of identity (Drivers license etc.)
- One passport-sized photograph
- Evidence to support the urgency of your travel
- Travel itinerary (if you have it)
Read: International Travel – Why American Travelers are a Rarity?
Applying For A Temporary USA Passport – What Are The Important Steps To Be Followed?
To apply for a temporary US Passport you need to follow the steps given below.
If your passport got stolen/lost in a foreign country you need to file a case with the police in that country before applying for a temporary US Passport.
- Get a copy of the Police report
- Approach the closest US Consulate or the US Embassy in that country
- Submit the Police report and explain in detail the things recorded by the police in the report
- Submit all the required supporting documents along with your travel itinerary and airline tickets (Proof that you need to travel urgently)
- Duly fill and submit Form DS-11 (Application for passport)
- Fill and submit Form DS-64 (A statement on your lost passport)
- Pay the fee required
The method of applying for a temporary passport in the USA varies depending on whether you are applying for the passport from your country or abroad. If you are applying it from another country you need to approach the US Embassy or the US Consulate in that country.
If you are in the USA and you wish to apply for a temporary US passport you need to get in touch with the passport issuing authorities within your area.
Validity Of The Temporary US Passport
As the name suggests the temporary passport is only for a specific period. Usually, this passport is valid only for that particular time when you have to travel. Once that journey is completed and you’ve reached your home country you need to surrender this passport and apply for a permanent one. Only then can you go on international trips in the future.
- Passport Rankings For 2021 – List Of Countries With The Most Powerful And Weakest Passports In the Word
- Traveling Abroad? You’ll Need A Vaccine Passport
- List Of Countries Indians Can Visit With A US Visa