A foreign student who wishes to study in Germany will be required to obtain a German Student Visa. This visa is generally granted to students who have already been accepted for admission by a Germany University.
To get a Germany student visa you will have to send all your documents and application to the Immigration Office where you will study in Germany. The Immigration Office will approve your application and then the consulate will issue you a residence permit in the form of visa. You will be required to register upon your first arrival in Germany.
Eligibility criteria for German student visa
To be eligible for Germany student visa you must fulfil the following conditions:
- You must provide proof of being enrolled in a tertiary educational institution in Germany, such as the letter of admission or the letter of acceptance issued by the educational institution in Germany where you are planning to study
- You must provide a formal letter from the designated authorities that gives you permission to travel during that period
- You must provide transcript of your academic record
- You must have a passport with a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages and it must have been issued within the previous 10 years
- You must have a copy of your completed application form
- You must show proof that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during the course of your study in Germany and for your return transportation
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from the bank for the last 3 months
- You must have valid health insurance covering the total number of days you will be staying in Germany as a student
- You intend to leave Germany at the end of your authorized stay
- You will be required to declare the authenticity of the documents submitted by you
Steps to follow when applying for a German student visa
Before you apply for a German student visa, check your eligibility for the same. Once you are sure that you are eligible for application, you can go ahead with the application procedure.
Please note that you will have to apply at the German Embassy in your country.
Except for rare instances, you will have to submit the application along with the required documents in person.
Step 1: Obtain letter of acceptance
The first and foremost step towards applying for a German student visa is to obtain a letter of acceptance from a recognized educational institution.
Only after you have received the letter of acceptance, you can proceed further with the student visa application procedure.
Step 2: Check the processing time
Find out about the duration of time needed to process a student visa application. This will give you an idea about when to apply so that you can reach Germany to pursue your course on time.
Step 3: Obtain a visa application form
You can obtain the application form either by downloading the visa application form from the official website http://www.germany-visa.org/ or by getting it from the German Embassy in your home country.
Step 4: Fill up the visa application form
Carefully fill up the visa application form and put your signature on the completed form. Get all the required documents, photocopies of all documents and the visa application fee ready before you proceed further.
Please note that the visa application fee is to be made only through a bank transfer. Cheques or Credit cards are not accepted as modes of payment by German embassies.
Check the visa photo requirements to be sure that your visa photograph matches the required conditions.
Step 5: Make an appointment
You will have to book an appointment before you can go to the Visa Application Centre to submit your documents for a German Visa. All German visa applications are accepted only if the applicant has made prior appointment.
Step 6: Go to the application centre
Arrive at the Application Centre on time. The officials at the Application Centre will verify your appointment letter and will issue you a token. It is necessary to be on time as the embassy may not be willing to process your visa request if you are late for more than 10 minutes.
Step 7: Submit your visa Application
Before you submit your visa application form make sure:
- All your documents are arranged in the order stated on the checklist
- Your application form is complete and signed
The submission process generally takes 10 minutes to complete. The officials at the Application Centre will check and verify your documents and visa application form.
You will be asked to collect another token if the visa application form is incomplete, you have not arranged the documents in the required order or you have not provided all the necessary photocopies of documents.
If the application is complete your passport, application form and documents will be held temporarily by the application centre. Please note that you cannot take the passport during the application process with you.
In case you take your passport for any reason, your application will be cancelled and you will be required to re-apply for the visa.
Step 8: Entering application information into online system
After your visa application form is verified, all the information in your visa application will be entered into the online system of the German consulate. You will be provided a printed copy of your application. This process will take around 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 9: Sign the printed application form
Once you get the printed application form, go through the details carefully to make sure that all the information is correct. Sign the printed form. Please note that forms for minors (up to 18 years) have to be signed by both parents.
Step 10: Pay your visa application fee
Pay the required visa application fee. Please make sure that:
- The visa application fee is made through a bank transfer
- The money order must be in the name of the German Consulate in your home country
- The money order must not be older than two months
After you pay for the visa you will be issued a receipt. Keep the receipt carefully as you will require it in order to collect your processed application.
Step 11: Biometric data collection
Once your application is complete, you will be required to provide biometric data. At the application centre biometrics is collected using a quick process that captures a 10-digit fingerprint scan with a digital finger scanner. This will usually take 7-8 minutes to complete.
This step marks the end of your visa application process. Your application will be sent for processing to the Consulate on the next working day. Make sure to keep your payment receipt safelyas you will require it to collect your passport.
Required fees for German student visa
- Fees for German student Visa – EUR 60 (INR 4,648.48)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a student visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Exception in German student visa program
As per the German student Visa Program, foreign students will have to apply for the German student visa from outside the country.
However, citizens of selected countries can get their student visa within three months of their arrival in Germany. They will have to make an appointment at the local Aliens Authority for this purpose. This exception is only valid for students from the following countries:
|New Zealand||San Marino||United States|
Dos and don’ts of German student visa
You need to remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for German student Visa.
- Apply for a student visa at least 8 weeks in advance of your planned travel date to allow enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time for you to join your course
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Sign your application form and arrange the documents in the specified order
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form
- Do not present false documents for your Student Visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application
- 5 Affordable Destinations where Indians can Study Abroad
- Tax Filing In Germany For International Students – Do All International Students Need To File Tax?
- German Visa Types And Why Do You Need Them
- Can You Pass the German Citizenship Test?
- Everything You Need To Know About Applying For A German Tourist Visa