The number of international students in Indian has increased by 14% in the year 2021. There was a huge drop of 72% in the number of foreign students who arrived in India in 2020.
The COVID 19 pandemic and the measures taken by the Indian government to curb its spread resulted in this massive dip in the number of foreign students coming to India. Most of the foreign students arriving here are from immediate neighboring countries like Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
Data Of International Students In India (Ministry Of External Affairs)
The Ministry Of External Affairs under the Government of India has the data of international students arriving in India. Based on this data:
- The number of international students who arrived in India on student visas in 2021 is 23,439. (From January 2021 to December 2021)
- This number is higher compared to the number of students who came to India in 2020
- In the year 2020, the number of foreign students who arrived in India was only 20,561.
- There was a huge dip in the number of students in 2020 compared to the year 2019
- In the year 2019, 74,689 foreign nationals arrived in India on student visas
- The drop in the number of foreign students was due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its repercussions.
Foreign Students In India From 2016 To 2021
Based on the data of international students in the country from the period between 2016 and 2021:
- The number of foreigners who came to India on student visas are above 3.3 lakhs (3,33,592)
- International students from more than 160 nations came to India during this period
- The highest number of student visas were issued in the year 2019 (74,689) followed by the year 2018 (72,268)
- The number of visas issued during the years 2017 and 2016 was above 70,000
- The huge drop in the number of visas issued in 2020 (20,561) was due to the COVID-19 pandemic
However, there has been an increase of 14% in the number of student visas issued this year (2021).
One-fourth of the total number of international students who arrived in India during this period (2016-2021) was from Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
- 45,250 students came from Bangladesh
- 39,111 students were from Afghanistan
The other main countries to send students to India during this time are the following.
- Malaysia – 20,758 students
- Sudan – 15,126 students
- Sri Lanka – 14,635 students
- Thailand – 13,423 students
- Yemen – 11,437 students
- Republic of Korea – 10,135 students
- Iran – 9,960 students
- Iraq – 7,113 students
The above-mentioned 10 nations account for more than 45% of international students who arrived in India during 2016-2021.
In the year 2021, 47% of the total number of students who arrived in India was from Bangladesh.
Given below are the top nations that sent students to India in 2021.
|Country||Number Of Students In 2021|
The total number of international students who arrived in India in 2021 was 23,439.
Over 7.5 lakh students from India study abroad. However, the number of foreign students coming to India for higher education is comparatively much lower. According to experts India should identify top institutions operating in the country and support them to market education. This will ensure our country gets at least 1lakh – 1.5 lakh international students every year.
But, several experts believe that it will take at least 2 years before the numbers of international students coming to India reach the levels in 2019. Easing the restrictions related to COVID-19 phase by phase will help in increasing the number of foreign students coming to India.
However, for the number of students coming to India to exceed the numbers in 2019, the Indian government must focus on different means to attract international students. The authorities also need to extend good support for the international promotions of Indian universities.
- List of Countries Exempted From Visa Obligations to Visit India
- How to Obtain India Tourist Visa on Arrival or e-Visa
- The Smart Indian Passport Is Set To Become A Reality