An international student who wants to pursue an educational course in Luxembourg for more than 90 days will have to obtain a student visa. It is a long term visa that is granted to those students who have already been accepted for admission by a recognized higher educational institute in Luxembourg.
The student visa is applicable for the purpose of studying, training in doctoral programs or carrying out research. Citizens of certain countries are exempted from the visa requirement provided that the duration of their stay in Luxembourg is not more than three months.
A foreign student who wants to study in Luxembourg must apply for and obtain the student visa before he or she arrives in the country.
Eligibility Criteria for Luxembourg Student Visa
To be eligible for Luxembourg student visa you must fulfil the following conditions:
- You must provide proof of being enrolled as a full time student in one of Luxembourg’s institutions for higher education
- You must provide proof of full payment of tuition fee for the course
- You must have a passport with a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 6 months
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages
- You must have a copy of your completed and signed visa application form
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself monetarily during the course of your study in Luxembourg and for your return transportation
- You must provide the original copy of the ‘temporary authorization to stay’ letter issued by the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Luxembourg
- You must have valid insurance for health and accident covering the total number of days you will be staying in Luxembourg as a student. The insurance must be valid for all Schengen countries for a minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 (INR 2,132,543.10)
- You intend to leave Luxembourg at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Luxembourg Student Visa
Before you apply for Luxembourg student visa, you must obtain a ‘temporary authorisation to stay’ by applying to the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Luxembourg. This temporary authorisation to stay is valid for a period of 90 days only.
You will have to apply for your student visa within this 90 day period. You can go ahead with the following procedure to apply for Luxembourg student visa:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Your first step is to obtain the student visa application form for Luxembourg. You can obtain it either from Luxembourg’s Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in your country or you can download the Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Carefully fill out all the information required in the application form. Remember to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Download or make a checklist of all the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your application form.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Fix an appointment at the Luxembourg visa application centre to submit your application. Submit your completed application form at the application centre nearest to you, along with all the required documentation.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. You must collect the visa personally at the relevant Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post. You can also avail the option of courier delivery of your passport.
Required Fees for Luxembourg Student Visa
- Fees for Luxembourg Student Visa – EUR 54.50 (INR 3,874.12)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a student visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Exemption of Student Visa
Since Luxembourg is a member of the Schengen Agreement, it follows the common visa rules applicable to all Schengen countries. Citizens of some specified countries are exempted from having a student visa if they intend to stay in Luxembourg for no more than 90 days. A list of such countries is provided below:
|Czech Republic||Denmark||El Salvador|
|Poland||Portugal||Republic of Togo|
|Sweden||United Kingdom||United States|
Note that citizens from European Union (EU) countries do not require a student visa regardless of the length of their stay in Luxembourg. Citizens of all other countries require a student visa if they plan to stay and study for more than 90 days in Luxembourg.
Dos and Don’ts for Luxembourg Student Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Luxembourg student visa.
- Apply for a student visa at least 3 months in advance of your planned travel date to allow enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time for you to join your course
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Luxembourg Consulate
- Do not present false documents for your student visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application