To visit Finland as a tourist a visitor needs a short term visa. The short term visa is a permit to enter Finland and enjoy temporary residence for a period that does not exceed 90 days.
This short term visa is also known as Schengen (tourist) visa. The Schengen visa is valid for all the European states that are part of the Schengen agreement, including Finland. With the Schengen visa a visitor can travel and stay in Finland as well as in all the 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement.
Countries that are part of the Schengen agreement are:
Eligibility criteria for Finland tourist visa
To be eligible for Finland tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- Your passport must have been issued within the previous 10 years
- You must have a copy of your completed and signed application form
- You must provide proof of hotel bookings, flight bookings and a detailed itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in Finland
- You must provide a copy of your round-trip or tour ticket
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your stay in Finland and for your return transportation. At present, a minimum of EUR 30 (INR 2,329.15) is required per day for staying in Finland
- You must provide a recent statement of your financial situation from your bank
- You must provide proof of having obtained valid travel medical insurance with a minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 that covers the entire duration of your trip to Finland. The insurance must cover sudden illness or accident. It must also cover transportation home in the unfortunate event of death of the tourist while in Finland
- The travel medical insurance must have been acquired from an insurance company that is approved by the Schengen countries. Refer to the list of Schengen approved insurance companies in Europe & India for detailed information.
Steps to follow to apply for Finland tourist visa
Before you apply for Finland tourist visa, read the Visa requirement and travel documents accepted by Finland and the processing time required for the visa to be issued. You have to apply at the Finland Embassy or Consulate for the visa.
Once you are aware of all the details regarding the visa, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Your first step is to obtain the tourist visa application form for Finland. You can obtain it either from the Finland Embassy or Consulate in your home country or you can download the Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your application form. You can also complete the form electronically and then get the form printed out. Remember that the application form must be filled only in English.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit one copy of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your visa application form.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application form and all the required documentation at the Finland Embassy or Consulate nearest to you. You have to submit the application during the office hours.
You will have to submit the application in person if you have no previous history of having been granted a Schengen visa. If you have been granted a Schengen visa previously, you may submit your application through a representative or via courier.
You may be interviewed by the Embassy regarding the purpose of your visit.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form. Check with the Finland Embassy or Consulate regarding the current processing fee for the visa and the mode of payment accepted by them.
Remember that the processing fee varies as per the exchange rate confirmed by the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs on a monthly basis.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. You can collect your visa in person or have it sent to you. You can also authorize someone to collect it on your behalf by giving an authorization letter and photo ID.
Required fees for Finland tourist visa
- Fees for Finland Tourist Visa for an adult applicant – EUR 60 (INR 4,658.30)
- Fees for Finland Tourist Visa for a child aged 6 to 11 years – EUR 35 (INR 2,717.34)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a tourist visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The visa fee is exempted for children under 6 years of age
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
- For citizens of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Georgia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine the visa fee is EUR 35 due to the visa facilitation agreements.
Extension of Finland tourist visa
Generally, Finland tourist visa cannot be extended. However, in case of emergencies the visa can be extended. Emergencies may include events and instances like sudden cancellation of flights or acute illness of the visa holder or due to a force majeure or humanitarian reasons.
The local police authorities in Finland can extend the visa if the visa holder can provide proof that it is not possible for him or her to leave Finland and the Schengen area due to an emergency as mentioned above.
Extension of the visa will incur a fee of EUR 30 (INR 2,329.15).
Finland tourist visa waiver
Citizens from a Nordic country (Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Iceland) or European Union (EU) Member State do not require a visa to enter Finland and stay there for a period of up to 90 days.
Similarly, any citizen from any of the visa-free country does not require a visa to enter Finland if he or she has a valid passport or comparable travel document.
Passport holders of the following countries do not require a tourist visa for visiting Finland for a period of up to 90 days:
Dos and don’ts of Finland tourist visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Finland Tourist Visa.
- You can either fill in the application with pen or get it printed after filling it up online
- Apply for a tourist visa at least 3 weeks in advance of your planned travel date so that there is enough time for the application procedure to be completed on time
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Finnish Embassy or Consulate
- Do not attempt to submit your tourist visa application form more than 3 months in advance of your departure date, else it will not be accepted
- Do not present false documents for your tourist Visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application