Want to move to another country? Here is a list of 16 countries that offer citizenship through investment.
For many people living abroad, it makes sense to exchange Indian citizenship for foreign citizenship. The Indian government does not support dual citizenship and hence you must give up Indian citizenship when acquiring another.
There are many ways to become a citizen of another country. For migrants with access to sufficient funds, investment programs are often the simplest route. Here’s a quick guide to the investment details of the most popular citizenship investment programs.
Read: 18 Most Popular Golden Visa Programs
Citizenship Through Investment – Processing Time And Investment Amount
Individuals with permanent residency status in Australia can get citizenship within 5 years as long as they may the minimum contribution and spend at least 2 years in the country.
- Investment: AUD 2.5 million
- Processing time: 12 months
Read Types Of Australian Visa – The Only Guide You Need
Investors can get citizenship for themselves and their families by making the minimum investment. Citizenship allows the individual to live in Austria and travel visa-free to 189 destinations.
- Investment: €3 million as a contribution to the government development fund or €10 million injected directly into a business
- Processing time: 2-3 years
Read: How To Get A Red-White-Red Card As An Entrepreneur In Austria
The Investment visa for Greece is one of the most popular. The visa offers five-year residency to the investor and their immediate family members. The visa is valid for 5 years and can be renewed indefinitely. After living in the country for 7 years continuously, the individual can apply for citizenship.
- Investment: Real estate investment of €250,000 OR €400,000 deposit in a Greek company/ Greek bank/Greek government bonds/real estate investment company shares or bonds OR €800,000 investment in government/ corporate bonds
- Processing time: 3months + 7 years
Italy has an investor visa program that allows an investor to live and work in the country for as long as the visa is valid, Investor visas are usually valid for 2 years and may be renewed for another 3 years. After living in Italy for 5 years, you may apply for citizenship through naturalization.
- Investment: €2,000,000 invested in government bonds OR €1,000,000 loan to an Italian limited company/ philanthropic donation OR €500,000 invested in an Italian start-up
- Processing time: 30 days + 5 years
Latvia’s golden visa program awards investors a five-year residency permit. After living in the country for 5 years, they may apply for citizenship.
- Investment: €250,000 for the first 800 investors and €500,000 from then on
- Processing time: 30–90 days
If citizenship through investment is in your mind, Malaysia is a good choice. The Malaysian investment visa gives the investor and his/her family a 10-year multiple-entry visa. There is no minimum stay requirement
- Investment: A bank deposit of MYR 300,000 for applicants below 50, OR MYR 150,000 for applicants over the age of 50 years
- Processing time: Three–six months
Malta, one of the top countries that offer citizenship through investment, provides investors 2 routes for citizenship through investment with a difference in investment amounts and timelines. Citizenship for family members may attract additional fees.
- Investment: €600,000 to make the investor eligible for citizenship after 3 years of residence and €750,000 to make the investor eligible for citizenship after 1 year of residence.
- Processing time: Four–six months
The Mauritius Residence-by-Investment Program is a quick and easy way to get Mauritian citizenship.
- Investment: USD 375,000 in real estate
- Processing time: Two–six months
9. New Zealand
Immigrants wanting to live in New Zealand have 2 routes available to them with a difference in timelines and investment amounts. The investment visa offers applicants permanent residency and after 5 years, the individual can apply for citizenship.
- Investment: NZ$10 million for at least three years OR NZ$3 million for at least four years
- Processing time: Three-four months
The Portugal Golden Residence Permit Program offers permanent residency for the investors and after 5 years, makes them eligible for citizenship. During that time, the individual needs to spend an average of only 7 days each year in the country.
- Investment: €1 million in a Portuguese bank deposit/ company capital OR real estate investment of €280,000, €350,000, €400,000, or €500,000 dependent on type and location
- Processing time: Three–eight months
Investing in Singapore gives the investor permanent resident status in the country. After 2 years of living in the country with this visa, the applicant becomes eligible for citizenship.
- Investment: SGD 2.5 million
- Processing time: Nine–twelve months
Read: Ways to Migrate to Singapore
The visa gained by investing in Spain is valid for 1 year during which it can be exchanged for a Spanish resident visa. This is valid for 2 years and can be renewed indefinitely. There is no stay requirement but the investment must be maintained. 5 years of continuous stay in the country makes the individual eligible for permanent residence. After a further 5 years, the individual can apply for citizenship.
- Investment: €500,000 in real estate OR €1,000,000 investment in company shares or a Spanish bank OR €2,000,000 in the Spanish public debt
- Processing time: 3-4 weeks
Financially independent individuals who invest in Switzerland get a residence permit. This is valid for 1 year and may be extended. After 10 years of living in the country, the individual becomes eligible for citizenship.
- Processing time: Three–six months
- Key benefit: The right to live and study in Switzerland
Read: Visas To Switzerland – A Complete Guide
Investing in Thailand gives applicants a ten-year residence visa. After 10 years of living in the country, the individual becomes eligible to apply for citizenship.
- Investment: 1,000,000 THB
- Processing time: Two-three months
15. The United Kingdom
The UK investor visa allows the visa holder to live in the country for up to 3 years and 4 months. This visa can be extended for another 2 years. After 5 years, you can apply to settle in the country.
- Investment: £2,000,000
- Processing time: 3 weeks
Read:Different Types Of UK Visas – A Complete Guide
16. The United States of America
The EB-5 visa plan gives international investors the chance to obtain permanent residency and convert the same to a green card in 3 years. After 5 years of legal residence in the country, they may apply for citizenship.
- Investment: minimum investment of $1 million or a minimum investment of $500,000 in a Targeted Employment Area (TEA)
- Processing time: 24-36 months
Read: US Immigration Through Investment – Can Investment Help Get A Green Card?
In addition to the investment, there may be other requirements to be fulfilled depending on the country an individual is applying for citizenship through investment.
- Grenada Citizenship By Investment – The New Route To USA
- St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment – All You Must Know
- Everything You Need to Know About the EU Blue Card